Thread: Upper push rod seal leak

I have a 2004 XB12r that has a leak coming from the rear cylinder push rod cover (I'm guessing)as the oil seeps down the push rod cover. The leak is coming from the top of the cylinder and only on the cover itself. I was told I would need to tare down the heads and replace the gaskets from the head up.

Is this fact, or HD service blowing smoke? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Possibly, I'd check my oil and fuel consumption for about 300-500mi. If you are using up a lot then I'd listen to them. Either way you shouldn't be leaking at all.

MY 08 had the same prob. I replaced the rear rocker box cover gasket and now it dosnt leak. I compared the new gasket to the old and the old one was quite a bit smaller. The new one works great now.

I just don't want to be taken for labor costs on a full head tare down, if in actuality it only needs the rocker box taken off to do the top seal.

I guess the question is, is it worth it to have the seals replaced all the way to the head gasket, even though I replaced the head gaskets on both cylinders 8K miles ago?

Thanks again.

Banned
    It looks like you need to replace all head gaskets if you need to replace pushrod cover o-ring because of you disassemble the head completely according manual to reach the o-ring.

I found oil on front right side of cylinder head ribs on my 2009 Buell XB 12Scg with slightly over 20000 miles. It looks like the pushrod cover o-ring is leaking on front cylinder. I recently changed all rockerbox gaskets with black rtv silicone and Hylomar, so I believe it is not possible they are leaking again so soon, and the only place where it can go from is pushrod cover top seal. It looks like I have to dig into this crap again, but now much deeper.

I will not be surprised if this is actually the pushrod plastic crack, not o-ring seal. I saw what Buell uses for their PCV valves, it seems to me same plastic, and probably it is able to crack as Buell PCV valves can.

Another possible reason is plastic material rubbed off around o-ring due to vibration, same issue as on PCV valves. The sealing interface on vibrating pars should be metal, not crappy plastic.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-06-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Banned
    Has anyone replaced the pushrod cover o-rings and cilinder head gaskets here?

I have Games Gaskets kit #JGI-17049-07-X from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I am not sure that all the gaskets will fit the 2009 Buell XB12Scg.

It looks like the pushrod cover base gasket is different so it will not work.

Can anyone confirm pushrod cover base gasket part number for 2009 Buell XB12Scg? I found two part numbers 17649-02 and 17608-00Y. Are those gaskets the same?

How about those brown and black o-rings from this kit which are in the same bag with pushrod cover base gaskets? Are they for top of the pushrod cover? It seems to me they are too big. Will they fit Buell?

Anyone knows the pushrod cover o-ring seal size?

The kit has 2 exhaust pipes gaskets. Do the fit Buell XB12Scg?

The kit also has 4 valves seals. Do they fit Buell?

The kit also has two weird shape red gaskets. What are they for?

The kit also has a pack of 4 small black o-rings. What are they for?

Can anyone confirm if the cylinder base gasket and cylinder top gasket from the Games Gasket kit fit the 2009 Buell XB12 SCG?

It seems to me the cylinder base gasket has same material and same style as rockerbox base gasket and probably can start leaking as my previous Games Gaskets I installed. So do I need to apply RTV silicone black on this cylinder base gasket as I do with rockerbox base gasket?

Can anyone confirm the valve seal protector size I have to put on the valve stem before installing the valve gasket? That is weird the kit does not have valve seal protectors.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-07-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Banned
    OK, the new pushrod cover top o-rings from James Gaskets kit have been installed. Will see how they perform.

Also the valve seals and exhaust gaskets from James Gaskets kit fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    OK, the new pushrod cover top o-rings from James Gaskets kit have been installed. Will see how they perform.

Also the valve seals and exhaust gaskets from James Gaskets kit fit too.
    Did this work well? I have had a mechanic replace the seals (head down) and still have oil seeping from the top of the front push rod cover. Thinking maybe the plastic is slightly warped/worn so doesn't seal perfectly any longer. Don't know what gasket kit he used, but presume straight out of the Buell/HD parts catalog.