Thread: 9SL suspension settings any different from 9S?

After I got my bike(which didn't come with the owners manual) I downloaded the xb9r service manual from this site, and set up my suspension according to the chart in it. I hadn't thought about it at the time but I'm sure the xbs settings should be different from the xbr settings. After searching a while, I did find this chart... http://www.steveturnbull.co.uk/buell...xbhandling.htm for an xb12s, but now I'm wondering, Are the settings for an xb9sl different still from the normal S because of the different suspension? I obviously don't have as much travel and wasn't sure if I need different settings still.

Does anyone have the owners manual for an xb9s that could let me know?

I've got the owners manual for a 2010 XB9SX. I can let you know what it says. What's your approximate riding weight?

BTW, I tried those settings in the link. They are a little more aggressive than stock, but man you can really feel the front end. It's a little bumpy for my tastes, but you can start there and reduce (counter-clockwise) the rebound and compression a little at a time.

I found the rebound and compression settings to be very sensitive. I can feel a difference with 1/8 turn, so change it a little at a time, and keep records because it's easy to forget what you've tried.

the 2010 will differ a bit due to the fork change in 05

I have an 03SL (former) and it came with the same manual as the standard S and had the same recommended suspension settings. I can get you that if you want, but I suggest that you tighten it up a bit beyond recommended for proper handling and less bottoming out on rough roads.

I weigh about 145-150 depending on the day. If you could let me know the numbers that came in your 03 manual that would be great. I rode with it on the softest settings for a while, and didn't have any problems with it bottoming out, so I'm not too worried about that.

Ill look it up for you when I get home tonight

I've been through this with my own 9SL. The XBR and XBS settings are identical (same fork and rear shock. The SL or SCG fork and rear shock are a whole different ball game. The settings for XBS suspension DO NOT work for the low bike. @ upthemaiden I'm the same size as you and I set up my 9sl to XBS specs and it felt like complete ****!

So pretty much your just going to have to experiment to find out what works for you. I eventually took my bike to specialty sport bike shop to have the suspension set up for me. To put it lightly, they were completely baffled by the 9SL suspension. Pretty much the answer I got is that I would have to ditch the lowered suspension If I wanted optimal performance out of the bike (partly why I'm selling my bike now).

If you have better results thats awesome, but I'm just letting you know what I've already ran into. Good luck or just ride it as is.

The reason the xbr and xbs settings should be different is because of your body position. I know they're the same parts, but I would think your front wheel would need to be set up for more weight. As I have my bike now the front is probably too stiff because I'm sitting upright.

Fortunately for me I don't ride all that aggressively that I'm too concerned with my suspension. The only time it's ever bothered me is the first few miles of highway north of the city where the pavement segments do not run together smoothly and it feels like I'm just being shaken until I'm clear of town. Being on the softest settings hasn't helped this, so I doubt anything will.

Hopefully over winter I can find a good deal on a rear shock and some new forks and just work on the normal suspension. I think I'm definitely going to hold onto the lowered stuff though. Once I have a 2nd bike I think I'd really enjoy having the L/SCG suspension on this bike for a city/cruising setup where I can appreciate the lower seat height over the better suspension.

sorry I didn't get it posted lat night I didn't get in till very late last night and did homework till about 2 or 3am

you said 145-150 but I bumped you into the 150-170 range instead of the 130-150 partly to account for gear and partly because for my bike took all these inputs and made them 2-3 steps stiffer but also bear in mind that I ride fairly aggressively so this should be ok for a leisurely commute

6 lines of preload front
    1 1/2 turns out compression front
    1 5/8 turns out rebound front

3rd click preload rear
    2 turns out compression rear
    1 1/2 turns out rebound rear

I have heard that these are great starting points for any rider and near dead on for those that want a comfortable ride and are used to front end drop on heavy braking (because of that I don't recommend a back pack with anything over probably 25lbs without bumping your preload up a bit first, trust me it sucks and the forks will chatter if you get on the brakes hard)

Thanks! I'll try those out. I always forget to account for my gear when I set up this kind of stuff.