Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ( Thee ) exhaust mod by Captain Ron

Well I paid $3500 bucks for my buell with a clean title... This $5 dollar exhaust mod sounds good to me. Hell if this all i need to do so it doesnt sound like a lawn mower I am doing it this weekend

Again I must repeat this does not work.. seriously.. I did this to my 2007 Ulysses last week, my work looks exactly as your pictures.. yes.. I reread each word, etc.. The sound was seriously not that much different.. Now.. what I can attest to and posted a video on youtube with, is that afer I tried this mod and was disatisfied, I went with home hacked up pipe mod #2, :) Cut the thing in three pieces removed all the junk and rewelded it.. I found a local iron shop in seattle and the owner was bored so we used his band saw for a clean cut and his welding eqipment to put it back together.. now the sounds is quite amazing, not too loud, but a great deep rumble.. really loving it.. So much so that I dont think I'm even going to order an aftermarket pipe for it.. I had a fellow uylsses rider that lives close by verify my sanity, he is absolutely thrilled with mine so much so that his is going on the chopping block soon.. :)

Im not trying to knock you at all captain, seriously.... I realize were are each going off our own experience.. My experience with my Uly was a slight lower rumble during idle, a little more noise during WOT, and no difference at all in normal rev ranges..

just my opion.. my piep really sounds great now... so much so that i think i actually prefer this sound to any of the after market exhaust that ive heard on buells..

so much so that i think i actually prefer this sound to any of the after market exhaust that ive heard on buells..
    So basically its a hollowed out can? The headers dump into more or less an expansion chamber? Did you use any packing? That may be asking for trouble in the long run...but im no expert.

the header dumps down into the interactive exhaust system pipe which goes a few more inches then opens up the middle of the can, then I left the back of the pipe in as well about 3 inches on that one.. so I basically removed the walls on each side and all the center tubing, but left a few inches on each side and left my interactive valve hooked up completely as it was stock..

I dont see running into any isses at all.. I put the Hi Flow Air filter on, and adjusted the idling squares on ECMSpy and its amazingly a different bike.. really really smooth.. idles just under 1000 and the blinkers dont shake like they used to..

Hope that answers any questions..

Hey Mark, can you explain to me a little more about what you did? I really want to do this this weekend. Thanks:)

I'm also interested. If Im reading this right and using the digram captain13ron posted you cut through a few inch's in on each side of chamber B and pulled the three pipes out and welded it all back up ? How did you know where to make the cut's ? also a link to your video on youtube would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by captain13ron Posted: 12 Jul 2008 01:26
    yes i finally posted my low cost buell exhaust mod on u tube so you can judge for youself if it is louder than stock. but i still can't wait to get race, d&d, or micron exhaust. enjoy!

edit: took the liberty of posting it in the topic with the correct codes ;)

thank's LeFox! so alway's very helpful, unselfish, and empathetic to others on this site. i don't what your day job is, but i just bet your sucsessfull at it!

Captain, I just finished this mod on my 2005 xb12r and must thank you. I am very satisfied with the sound of my bike. Not too Loud, Not too Quiet, Just Right!! I used a 1 5/8 hole saw to punch the hole. I then wrapped my header with copper wrap. Sounds Bad AZZ!! Thanks

has any one out there tried removing the hole piece of pipe in the last section of can instead of drilling it????? i'm thinking after looking at pipe diagram that it may work well and still allow for plenty of back pressure

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast