Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firebolt Fuel Pump - Bn/Y wire to ground problem??

Anyone get a fix for the bn/y wire to ground problem, that keeps the fuel pump running w/o the engine running? Dont really want to take out the wire harness.

Where are you measuring it from?

Where are you measuring it from?
    measuring what?

Service manual says I have a short to ground from the bn/y wire from the ecm, which causes the fuel pump to run w/o the engine running.

maybe someone found a loose wire/bolt/short somewhere. Dont really want to remove the harness to find a short. Serv manual could be wrong anyways.

Put a multimeter across the pin at the ECU and measure resistance. If you can more than infinity, measure at the fuel pump plug. If you get infinity, check continuity on that wire, and the black one, from the plug to the ECU.

I had the running fuel pump issue and RAYS helped me out with it i had to pull the fuel pump out and sodler a wire back together heres the link and there is an internal link within that explains how to remove the fuel pump. Hope this helpsnull

+1 afinley,,,

was using a test light to ground yesterday, :D, nothing worked so i wasnt even thinking about the multimeter.

i was thinking well, i measured the tire tread, the battery, maybe afinley is talking about the length of the wire. lol

it is shorted out, and probably is the fuel pump wire hammel13 mentioned,,,

My girlfriend's bike keeps getting shorts in the fuel pumps, and I am replacing my wiring harness, so I wouldn't want you to think to do the same for the same problem she keeps having.

If you find you need to replace your fuel pump, wait a week. They are releasing a new PN for the fuel pump supposedly

at the same time though; how the hell does the fuel pump short out after 9 months?

i fried the reg/stator plug, blew the j-fuse, damaged the ecm, battery went dead & i havent even ridden it in over 9 months

buell should have had a *free fix* for this 77plug that fried on the 03-07s, and repaired everything that it caused too break down

The word is thus:

My girlfriend's 09 SCG was in the shop again for a blown fuel pump fuse. This wasn't the first time she had the exact same symptoms, so we didn't even bother to try and troubleshoot it this time. We brought the bike in, but they refused to cover it under warranty. Since the last time we brought it in for the same thing she had flipped her bike, and they claimed that her cracked gauge cluster was the problem, and refused warranty.

Well, I went ape****. For the record, there is no wire that is connected to the gauge cluster that also runs through the fuse. I stopped short of calling anyone a liar to their face, but I let it be known that I felt like the service department was stealing from us.

After that initial experience, they became very nice, and replaced the gauges for free. Once the guages were replaced, they warrantied the fuel pump. However, by that point her bike had spent so much time in the shop for bad fuel pumps that it was qualified as a lemon. So they gave her two options: lemon, or work with HD as they know recognize there is a problem with the fuel pumps.

She opted for the fuel pump idea, and had to wait 2 more weeks for an updated pump. HD actually made her bike payment that month for her (very nice,) and they kept the bike for a few weeks more for them to test it. They say the new part should be available in the second week of August, and it should have an updated PN. They say HD realized that the motor burns up if you ride with low fuel often. Since the pump uses fuel as both a lubricant and coolant, running it low on gas overheats the pump.

Take all this with a grain of salt. The same people that told me this also told me that a cracked guage cluster leads to a burnt out fuel pump...

its true though about the pump burnin up; same as cars. only they are 14gal & bikes are 3-5gal. so its more likely to burn up on the bike 1st.

but when an electrical connection, causes 4-5 other things to go wrong, its not the consumers fault.

but, im sure there was the campaign to resolve this issue & restore confidence in buell (only, warranty or not it should have been repaired by the factory)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast