Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any mods without ECM?

Hey guys...

So far with my new '10 Xb9Sx I've just been riding her, and loving it! I've put about 1100km on it in 5 days, and all my friends and co-workers stop to check it out!

Anyways, are there any performance mods I can do w/o buying an ECM? Or reprogramming the stock one? I'm guessing this will null any warrenty...

But what I mean is can I throw a K&N air filter in, and perhaps later an exhaust, and still get some gains w/o the ecm being done?

So far all I've done are rip all the stickers and reflecters off, and the rear brackets for the passenger pegs. I was going to take the belt covers off, but stripped one of those stupid F***ing torx screws, so now I'm stuck.. I'm thinking JB weld and an allen wrench.

Thanks for any help.

IS

K&N and Hawk Exhaust. Best bang for the buck. Under $300 total to get both.
    The ECM should adapt just fine to the change.

use an easy out to get the torx screw out

I tried, and the bit snapped off in the screw. I went at it w/ a dremel, and got the bit out, and tried cutting a slot into it for a flat head screw driver, and just continued to strip...

The ECM will NOT adjust to aftermarket intake and exhaust...period.
    With int. and exh. changes...will it run...yea, probably. Run as good as it can run...no!
    Can you do damage...possibly.

The ECM changes per the O2 sensor(s), in a "global" manor only. That is, the "whole" mapping moves up and down the rpm scale. Single hex cells DO NOT move or change on their own. They have to be manually changed, or "tuned" to the changes made to the engine.

The things you can change without working the ECM...are things that have nothing to do with the engine.
    Tires, stickers, paint, mirrors, handle bar, brake pad...etc.

Yea gotta learn how these thing work before yea start digging into them and altering the way they work.

Would you go to a dentist for a major pipe leak in your house?

Mike

I have done the following with the stock ecm on my '09 12Ss and my bike is running great:
    K&N
    Breather reroute
    Various exhausts (D&D, race, and spec ops)
    Airbox delete
    Iridium plugs

Had the ebr race ecm for a little while, but bike did not run well with it...the ecm actually ended up quiting on me mid ride, left me stranded till I could get my stock ecm back in it. Bike is running strong with the stock ecm now.

I have a Special Ops can, Uni foam filter, and breather re route with stock ECM on my 04 xb12s and it runs great.

Super Moderator
    If you guys are running all of that on a stock ECM, you do not know what you are missing. I'd almost be willing to bet that you lost power overall.

Agreed I would be willing to bet a good tune wil net you 5-10 hp. The difference between my stock tune and my wideband tune is night and day. I went from a sneezing, hiccuping, tempermental beast to a flat out ass hauling, wheelie popping, arm wrenching torque monster. There are easy big gains to be had with proper tuning!

So all in all, should I wait on everything until I get the ECM? Levers and Mirrors I've got on lockdown... Breaks I see nothing wrong with....

So everything else I'm screwed to wait it out? I went to Erik Buell's Race site, and they don't even have a 2010 xb9 race ecm on there... So, without voiding warrenty, can I buy any other ecm and just reprogram it w/ ecmspy? (if I can figure out how to use it?)

I love the bike, it's plenty fast for me... (this comming from only riding a 97 Marauder otherwise...)

I guess I'll wait..... :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast