Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modified front sprocket covers

Ever since I noticed how cool the belt tension pulleys look spinning backwards, I've wanted to uncover my front sprocket a bit so you can actually see more things up there spinning. I bought an extra sprocket cover and plan to cut it up a little bit, enough that you can see what's going on but I don't have to worry about my pants ever getting pulled into the belt.

At first I was just going to try to make a square grid cage out of it but I'm trying to be a little more creative. I've been browsing through some pictures of Ducati dry clutch covers and was curious if anyone happens to have any pictures of chopped up sprocket covers to give me a little inspiration. I've seen some that are more decorative cages...

Some that are more of guards with a more open design...

and then some that are just an outline with a clear cover...

I think the last one would be cool, as well as one of the safer more visible options. I'd have to see how lucky I could get with a small cutting wheel and some plexiglass, it's not one of my best skills, but would definitely look cool if it came out well.

Here are some videos of some that I though looked good too(with the links in case the videos don't show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftlaSIXMvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Zecy2Ek-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohS7wDGIeE

My front sprocket is super rusty. I haven't had any luck finding a socket big enough to pull it off yet, plus I've been told it's ridiculously hard to get off anyway so I'll probably just try to clean it up while it's on the bike, and maybe see about painting it.

If you guys have anything good, let's see them! If not I'll start chopping and show you what I come up with.

Somebody had a thread on here not that long ago so some pretty good pics should surface...

and just so you guys know I did my homework, these are some actually sprocket covers I found...

Both of those I've seen before, and am not too crazy about. Here are some I've found on some Harleys :p First one isn't actually too bad.

This will work to cover your rusty front pulley

http://www.trojan-horse.co.uk/prods/371.html

Ehh, I dont know about that. Id just paint mine. :)

I like the see through idea, guess that is why Iwent with the Rizoma cover. It even comes with a pulley cover piece made of steel to cover the rusted one, reall clean IMO

Thats a nice looking bike! I like Rizoma anything. Expensive, but pretty cutting edge stuff.

All that rust came off of my pulley surprisingly easy and looks pretty clean. I wiped a thin layer of waterproof grease on it to hopefully keep the rust from coming back for a while. Now that I'll be able to see it the rust won't really be able to sneak up on me anyway.

The trojan horse pieces are a little pricey for what they are, but I think a nice round Buell piece might look really good bolted onto the pulley. All you would need is the round piece, some longer bolts, and a couple of spacers behind it since the holes for the bolts are recessed. I drew up a couple idea on microsoft paint last night but I'm still deciding how I want to chop it up. That 3rd picture I posted above with the black Rizoma cover and gold clutch is still my favorite.

i'de just cut the stocker to expose the pretty pulley and keep hidden the unsightly wires. painted pulley isnt bad, i used chrome

Definitely keeping the wires hidden. I'll probably keep that gap behind the pulley covered as well, as it's a pretty big gap now that I look at it. I think I'm just going to cut the cover so there's a hole cut out just big enough for the pulley, then I'll cut out a piece of sheet metal the same size, paint it black, then probably cut out the center of this sticker and slap it on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buell-Shield-Sti...item5888f853e7

I thought about just a normal pegasus sticker but I don't see any the right size. This way it'll still look clean, but be fun to watch when I start moving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast