Thread: replacing wheels bearings

I am powdercoating my wheels and plan on replacing the bearings. I have a bearing puller for removal BUT what about installing them. Whats the correct way to go about this without damaging the bearing or wheel.

thanks

I think the "proper tool" is basically a long bolt, nut and big washers so they get pressed in evenly. Most people just use the old bearing to tap in the new one through or a 2x4 or some other means to tap it in without hammering directly on the new bearing. A large arbor press would do the trick too if you have access to one.

Thats what i was figuring, a threaded rod or bolt and nut and washer. I was even thinking or turning a piece and making something along those lines. thanks

Just apply what ever method you use only to the outer race of the bearing or even pressure on both inner + outer.

+1 for bolt and washers.

do you need the bearings? i have some that i ordered planing to do a wheel swap, they are just taking up space now. bearings + spacers

The Buell XB wheel bearings are pretty easy to get wrong and I wouldn't recommend walking the new bearings in by tapping as that will remove a small amount of material from the wheel each time you do it.
    At 80,000km my '06 Uly rear wheel had a loose drive side bearing and it had only been removed and replaced once at 43,000km. I foolishly took my wheel into my dealer to get them to remove the bearings as I didn't have the blind puller but to my dismay they beat the bearings out with a drift and I assume shortened the life of the hub.

The factory fitting tool has two machined discs that are pulled together with a threaded rod. It is very important to avoid setting up side load on the new bearings by applying the force to the outer and the inner equally by using a disc that contacts both surfaces. Fit the brake side bearing first and pull it completely home into the hub recess - that sets up the rotor to calliper clearance.
    Next, fit the spacer - if the existing spacer has any signs of compression damage (ie Mungo has done up the axles at some stage) replace the spacer.
    Next, pull the other bearing until the inners contact the spacer - if you use perfectly flat pressing discs as per the factory set-up then this correct installation point will be very obvious as everything locks up.
    You can definitely fit the bearings by just tapping on the outer but apart from the potential damage to the hub it is much harder to get the bearing positioned in relation to the spacer without introducing some side load.

i pressed my bearings in when i pwdercoated my rims