Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buell Blast Transmission Problems

I have a 2000 Buell Blast. When I shift into First and let out the clutch, after the bike moves about a foot, I hear a single "Clunk" from near the transmission. Subsequent shifts from 2-5 are normal. I did a primary clutch adjustment and also a chain adjustment, but nothing changed. Any ideas?

Thanks!

You need to do a Shift Pawl adjustment, and make sure your fluid is just to the gear teeth.
    EZ

Do you know exactly what is happening when I hear the clunk? I'd like to know what's going on in there before I tear into the transmission :) The bike only has 7500 miles on it.

Have you seen this happen before?

Thanks again!!! I really appreciate the advice!

Exactly - nope, a number of things come into play - the drum pins need to be equalized in size, the detent clip and plate replaced, shift pawl adjustment done, the edges of the stator wire protection plate chamfered, look at your primary adjuster shoe, if worn looking replace - the primary is often adjusted too tight, leading to lower top end, very hard winter starting, low idle, etc. -, then clutch adjusted, then finally primary - its just a lot of parts just slightly mis-aligned type of thing.
    EZ

the last problem i saw was like ezblast stated, the shift drum is stick the shift pawl, we had the drum removed and smoothed out the place where it was sticking

On the XBBlast build, I have a Baker drum kit going in, to skip this problem which took the bike out of circulation in the first place - lol
    EZ

Couple questions if you don't mind.

1) Is the engine sprocket nut reverse or forward threaded? Can't seem to get it to come loose, and I'm to the point I'm concerned adding additional pressure may muck things up.

2) What do you mean by chamfering the stator wire protection plate? Where in the parts or service manual can I get a picture of the part? (I don't see any parts by that name)

OK, so that's really three. =p

Not sure why it won't let me edit that post, but...

1) It is forward threaded. Push the bike backwards while lifting the cheater bar. It gently eased off rather than breaking away =)

Still concerned about #2 - What part is the Stator Wire Protection Plate? The bell around the rotor housing? Something else?

My 2001 has the same issue (clunk/jerk taking off in 1st sometimes) Does the trans exit out of the left side like an XL? Looking at my Blast it doesn't look like there's enough room to get the primary cover off (with the frame footrest mount there) let alone pull the trans out. Is this an engine out job?

doing the adjustments EZ suggested will make it work much better ......

and doing this service bulletin will be the icing on the cake for good operation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast