Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make a buell run better??

I just bought a 04 buell lightning xb12s..
    I've changed the oils, primary and main.
    What are some other items that make the bike run better aftermarket parts, race kits, or basic things like filters??

thanks

Spark plugs!

My buell runs like ****, and I replaced the plugs. Good luck I don't know how to fix it yet. I've heard TPS reset (wtf is that anyway) will fix this but you have to either buy a cable and hack into your ecm or paaayyy your dealer to do it.

Straight from the Tech Manual:

Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells
    Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells does not require external Software to perform a TPS reset, but
    DirectLink can be used to confirm that it is set correctly. The 08+ Buells are equipped with Idle
    Air Control logic, and the idle air and speed is under ECM control. The fully closed butterfly
    position is set by a stop that is cast into the throttle body, and there is no external throttle position
    stop screw.
    To reset an 08+ Buell, do the following:
    1. Turn on the key.
    2. Set the kill switch to the run position.
    3. Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully
    open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).
    4. Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.
    5. Turn the key off and on.
    6. If you connect to Directlink, a fully closed throttle should indicate 3.7 to 4.2 degrees. If it
    doesn’t, repeat the above steps.

So, if your bike is a 08+ it wont even cost you a drop of sweat to do the reset.

But, if it's not an '08+, you will have to either purchase or build the ECM cable, and download ECM Spy, learn it and reset your TPS at your whim, or pay the shop to do it. It's not difficult, nor is it expensive, just requires a little search button use....

Remember now these bikes are a little gas sensitive.Buy your fuel out of a high test only hose.Three grade one hose pumps put a lot of whatever the person before you bought.

@ Hula, maybe 10%, if that, of the pumps around my area are not 3 into 1.
    I haven't noticed much. One time I got absent minded and filled with 87. No biggy.
    Still have stock plugs too.
    Maybe mine was built on a Wednesday. (old saying was never buy a car built on a Monday or a Friday. Hungover on Monday and drunk on Friday)

I always hope for pumps with 3 hoses, but they're hard to come by sometimes. I always get at least 91 octane, but I was at a pump with 93 the other day. Is the higher the number better, or just stick with 91?

As far as the original question...

You could get a better air filter and cut some holes in your airbox for more air to get in. You can get a better exhaust with a new map.

The breather re-route is supposed to smooth things out although I didn't notice a ton of difference to mine.

I think my best mod so far was the cheap levers on ebay for gsxrs. It took me half an hour of grinding to get it to work but the brake works SO much smoother in stop and go traffic. My old lever was really grabby and impossible to use with 1 or 2 levers without my brake jerking. New lever makes it butter smooth with just 1 finger. Your stock lever may not have any problems to beging with though.

503xb you in the portland, OR area? If so we can meet up and i can help you with your bike. Click on my screen name for my info.

Christer and ridendude I gave you both rep points for the attempt to help but as stated in the first post, the guy owns and '04.

Here is how his tps can be reset. How-to video

503xb, do not fear. Resetting your TPS is not "hacking" your ecm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast