Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buell xb9s clutch cable\lever tension

I will check the cable when I get home. Thanks for the suggestions.

If it's the cable giving tension both ways it could be the cable binding or needing lubed, meaning if it's hard to pull, and doesn't snap back fast enough the cable has too much friction.

If it's tight to pull, but still snaps back easily when you let go that's just the tension on the clutch that can only be fixed by those parts that people gave links for. I say give it a few weeks and see how your feel. Your arm will get stronger and you won't notice it eventually. I even switched to shorty levers and have less leverage and don't think anything of it anymore.

Chelch. If you haven't solved this pm me. Just adjusted mine.

Stiffness of the clutch pull is hard compared to Japanese bikes. But a big factor is the clutch cable itself. As adjustments, I loosen up the adjusting nut on the cable until I have a ton of slack. Then I pop off the inspection cover. You want to turn in the little adjusting screw all the in until it just starts putting on pressure. Then back it out 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Put the retainer and cover back on then tighten the clutch cable adjusting nuts til you have about 1/16" of gap at the clutch lever before you feel the resistance to pull the lever. And that should be good. Some do more or less but it's fractional. That's how I adjust my clutch. You don't want to over adjust or you'll never get full engagement and wear out the clutch discs. You also don't want creep...meaning, if you pull in the clutch while in first gear and the bike creep forward...that means you don't have full disengagement and the pressure plate is still pushing on the clutch discs. This also wears out a clutch. In the end, you may just have an old dirty cable...BE AWARE of you replace the cable DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT torque on the ferule that goes into the primary, they are really brittle and break easily. Just bottom it out on the ring seal and that is plenty, don't try to really tighten it, guaranteed it will snap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12