Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition Switch

I have a '04 xb12s that the ignition switch has gone bad. I need to know where the best place to look for this would be, and if anyone has a part number for it. Another question that I have is, are ignition switches compatible between years? Like I saw on ebay a '07 xb12s ignition switch but was not sure if that would work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I don't know the part number for the ignition switch for a 2004 but I just checked the parts manuals for my '06 and '09 and they are both C0152.1AD BODY, electrical, ignition switch. From that I assume the '04 is the same but we will need someone with the earlier parts list to confirm.

I am also assuming you are referring to the electrical part not the mechanical part? The mechanical part differs between models.

If you do mean the electrical part then it may just need cleaning. At around 80,000 Km '06 developed some issues that required fiddling with the ignition switch to get a good electrical connection so I ordered new switch but while waiting for it I tried pulling it apart as a temporary measure. That was completely successful and 18,000km later I still haven't replaced it.

One you have removed the switch assembly (Tamper-proof T45 Torx needed) you can remove the end of the electrical switch with a couple of small flat blade screwdrivers - you can see the plastic arrow-head latches in this shot:

You can pull the switch apart and not have pieces go in every direction - the contacts are clipped in place. In this shot you see some green corrosion on the upper set of copper contacts. Clean all of the contacts (I used Methylated spirits and a Scoth-brite pad) and re-grease (I used some silicon grease I had at hand and that has worked OK) and then re-assemble.

Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks I will give that a go, and let you know how things end up. I would be way stoked if this worked, I took my bike to the shop to get fixed, and 150 bucks later it is in the same condition, and they did not fix anything, really ticked me off. I hope this works.

So you can purchase the back of the switch by itself? An the part number is C0152.1AD?

I have an ignition switch with key for sale PM me if interested.

The switch is the same from 03-09
    if I remember right harley only sells it with the lock assembly. If you can't find one.... let me know I think I might have one from a miss match lock set.

Going to local HD to check things out then Im letting you know if I want to buy one of yours.

52$ for back of switch - ordered

Right on.... If for some reason they lag hit me up

Good write up rays, that is a commen problem and easy fix usually on the ignition switchs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast