, motorcycles" /> Where to keep my helmet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to keep my helmet?

I was told that there's usually some kind of helmet lock under a motorcycle's seat but there isn't anything like that on mine. Where should I keep my helmet when I park my bike? I don't want it getting stolen.

Keep it with you is the best way to prevent that ;) There's the little cable that comes in tool pouch which I have never used. I got one self tapping screw and partially screwed it into the subframe under the rear passenger pillion on my R. I loop the metal D-ring over the screw, slide the seat back on and bam!!!

I have a cable lock and put my helmet on the air box and triple tree and lock it to the tree. My cable is long enough to go through the sleeve of my jackets too. Kill two birds at once.

I use a DaKine cable snowboard lock on my bikes. You can loop them through just about anywhere on your bike. and you can even run them through the arm of your jacket and leave that on your bike, too.

Mine didn't come with anything but I had heard about the cables people have so I went to home depot and bought a piece of rubber coated steel cable and some of those aluminum ends so I could put loops on it. Now I just run that through the d rings and put both loops on one of the bolts that goes through the seat latch. It's enough cable for the helmet to either hang or rest on my seat. There's not enough to run through my jacket sleeve, but there is enough to run through that little 0-ring for the velcro waist strap if I'm not gonna be long. It's not the best defense but it's a deterrant. None of my stuff is worth enough for me to get super upset if it's stolen, I just don't like asking for it by leaving gear sitting on my bike unprotected.

Yesterday I almost didn't lock my helmet but then I thought better of it. I live in California and if it got stolen I'd be stuck waiting for someone to bring me a helmet to borrow of heaven forbid I'd have to buy one just to get home.

I had my helmet stolen when I first started riding. I being a relative newbie didnt know about helmet locks, just saw people's helmets attached to the sides of their bikes and figured I could just leave it there. Luckily NM does not mandate helmets, otherwise I would have been screwed. Just had to ride home w/o the bucket and buy another one. Since then I invested in a cable lock which works well for me, but I usually just carry it with me.

That's the only thing I like about them recently getting rid of the helmet law here. I never ride without mine, but if someone did happen to hork mine while I was in the store I could still at least make my way home. I wear glasses as well so that'll at least keep a bug or two out of my eyes.

It's doesn't lock but it would frustrate the hell out of someone trying to steal it.
    Hasn't failed me yet.

A small caribeaner with a few zipties connecting it to the frame, tucks away when not being used. I'm happy with it.

Excellent idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast