Thread: Gah!!! Noise at Cams.

Ok, so last time my wife and I were out near the end of our ride a knocking noise started on the right (cam) side of the bike. We got the bike home and I took a stethoscope to the bike to try to narrow down where the noise was coming from. I narrowed it down to around the cam/lifter location. I figured it was a bad hydraulic lifter so I tore the engine down and replace them. While in there I checked the crank rod and it felt good and solid (kinda had to pull off the cylinder on the rear and a cylinder stud came out.)

Anyway, after putting it all back together and testing the bike the noise is still there. So, I thought that maybe it was a cam bushing. (Should have checked it while I had the machine tore down, but oops.)

So, I check the cams and bushings and all look ok. Bushings are spun and I don't see any glazing or excessive wear.

Something I am wondering. Is it possible that a push rod might be failing and that is where this noise may be coming from?

Grab video with good sound so we can hear it. Move the camera around so the tiny mic picks it up from different places.

Crap, bike it tore down again right now. Going to check the cam measurements to ensure they are good and if so I will probably button it back up and get the video.

Well, never mind. Just took a magnet to the oil and found this.

I think that calls for a new crank and other parts inside the engine. Sigh...... Wondered if that would ever happen to me. Guess I'll just button it up for now and when I'm done with school in the next month I will get to it.

I just got my buell xb9sx and i noticed a tapping noise. if anyone knows whats that I attached a link for the video i took. anything will be highly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Rl...ature=youtu.be