Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neutral Switch Replacement

I have an 2006 Ulysses that needs a new neutral switch, can the neutral switch be replaced without removing the transmission sprocket? If so, how?

yes,remove sprocket cover,disconnect connector,remove switch and washer,install new switch

On my '06 Uly I found it wasn't quite that easy - don't know if there are different size front pulleys between models.
    I ground down a socket enough to fit in behind the sprocket - after I had removed the rear wheel allow the belt to be pushed out of the way.
    The switch is only threaded for 1/4 " or so and isn't a big torque so I only needed that to crack it and nip it up.

I have seen posts on other forums where guys have paid to have their front pulley removed to have this replaced - definitely not required.

Here is the ground down socket and the neutral switch from my '06 Uly. The ground down bit allows you to just sneak the socket behind the edge of the pulley.

Rays,
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple of additional questions for you. What size socket is needed to remove the neutral switch? and did I read your post correctly that you recommend removing the rear wheel to create enough slack in the belt to move the belt out of the way so you can squeeze in the grounded down socket?

It is 5/8" - same size as the sump plugs. I did do it when I was doing a tyre replacement and it certainly gave me more room by moving the belt out of the way but I can't remember if it was absolutely necessary.

It would only take a couple of minutes to check by taking the cover off. The longest part is grinding the socket down - being so small it gets hot immediately so be careful, :)

Rays or Anyone,
    I grounded the socket down leaving just enough to grab the switch but I still don't have enough clearance to get to it. The next step would be to get the belt out of the way which I think will provide the necessary clearance. I do have a manual for the bike and read up on the rear tire removal procedures, they don't seem very difficult. How far do I have to go in the procedures to get enough play in the belt to move it out of the way. I consider myself mechanically inclined but I have not done motorcycle maintenance except for basic stuff. Local motorcycle repair guy wants to charge $100 to replace the switch which I think is way over priced. I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me what steps I need to accomplish and if there are any steps in the procedure that could get me in a world of hurt if not done correctly.

Boomer81 - PM sent.

Rays,
    Got it. Sent PM response.

anyone have the part number for this? i have an 07xb12. i thought there was a part number search somewhere or on one of the dealer sites. can't find it. even searched through google.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast