Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DYI Fork Seals ...

I'm fed up with relying on the shop to do my forks. Too much $$ to replace my seals when they go. So, I've bought the seals, fork oil, and oil measuring tool to do the job myself. Question: Can I get around buying the fork tube holder tool? I've already tried making the one out of a wood clamp. Broke during the first try, and I thought I made it better than the guy on the web did. I'm thinking of making a better one out of heavier metal strapping bars next. I just can't see buying something so seemingly simple to make.

Also, it really seems the fork cap is pretty tight - can't get it off, which is why I'm stressing about the tube holder. I've read places that it shouldn't be torqued down very much. Thoughts anyone??

-UB

why not just use the triple trees to hole the fork and loosen the cap while on and then remove the fork.

Confession: I don't have a specific fork cap wrench, so I've been trying to use an adjustable. This particular wrench doesn't fit on the cap because the handlebars get in the way. I guess if I'm going to save money in the long run, I'll have to get the proper tool. Anyone know what size fork cap wrench is used on the Uly?

-UB

Drop the tube so it is only in the lower triple clamp and buy a wrench that fits the cap. The cresent wrench will round off the cap real fast.

Cresent wrenches should be banned from existance.....

~Mike.........

or buy the socket. might be cheaper.
    and no, i don't know the size off-hand. sorry. got a ruler?

I have a feeling it's 46 or 50mm, since looking-up "Showa Fork Cap Wrench" on Google returns a bunch of the two-headed wrenches with these sizes on it. Mine's probably the 46mm, since the later models have the larger tubes. I think I'll buy one and try it out using the "in-the-trees" loosening technique.

A socket of this size would require the dreaded fork tube holder!

Thanks guys, for the input!

-UB

Cresent wrenches should be banned from existance.....

~Mike.........

No way there great for bending stuff , O and as Weapons no one ****s with a guy with an 18'' adjustable , haha . seriously they have there place ... stranded on the side of the road is one

Yup! You're right, D!

dude fork seals on my buell go out about every 10k so i use a feeler gauge but they are simple to change they come apart easy and go back together easy filling with oil is the hardest part you don't even need speical tools

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast