Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok decision time!

Ok guys i have a 04 xb12r, tons of cosmetic mods but no performance mods to speak of besides plugs, open airbox. Long story why there are no mods right know, but any ways. The bike has 8500 miles on it 4500 of those miles put on by me in about 3 months!! :). Ok so heres were the decision come in, im think about dropping the motor and putting in xb9 pistons in and maybe new headers but def new exhaust ether way. I want more bottom in torque and mid range!! Cant get enough of it! Does this sound like a good plan or should i sell my bike as is and get a ktm super duke 990?? I really want the ktm. Would i be better off to sell some what stock and not lose my ass on these mods or would i make money with these mods done??

Honestly I would drop your gearing first. American sportbike sells the xb9 gear set up for like 250 I think. You should be able to change it out in a couple of beers time. Top end loss is minor for Guy that wants more torque.

Oh and Pointdoc wrote an interesting article on using aluminum sprockets and lightning his flywheel for less rotating mass, creating a faster reving motor

i looked into the dropping of the gears but dont like that it makes for really fast shifting and higher rpms when cruising on the highway. Although it is a really good idea and would fit the bill.

Is that article on here? If so got a link to it?

I think its on here just search for pointdoc as user, if not its on buellster.net

Honestly, if you want a ktm, get a ktm.

I love my buell, this is my third one, wish i could have both the ktm and my buell but dont have the money for that :(. I really like the power of the ktm, its what i wish my 12 had, but what the buell doesn't have in power it makes up for balance and usability.

The issue im having is if end up throwing a grand into my bike in performance mods, i dont want to lose my ass down the road if i sell it for a ktm. Does it make more since to just sell mostly stock.

I'd say sell it stock& save the $$. If I bought a bike off someone who moded it out, I would wonder how hard they pushed those mods...

I would be thinking the same thing, because i know my bike gets road hard and put away wet!! I ride it like a stole it :). Well thanks for the input so far. Looks like im leaning towards just building a exhaust, figure out how to do some tuning and call it a day. Throw it on craigslist and see if i get any hits. Even if i sale it for a good price, i would still need another 3 grand or so for the ktm :(.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast