Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: idle problems

ok guys I have a 03 buell xb9r with idle issues. while it will hit on 1 cylinder then both then back to one. when you try to take off it will try to die out unless you give it a bunch of throttle. it rides a bit rough for a minute or so but clears out once i start going but once you let off and slow down it starts again. now a little history on the bike.....the original milage on the bike according to the title is 81000 but it actually has about 17k on a rebuilt motor. it sat up for about 2 years in a shed. i blew the rear spark plug out got it fixed by haveing the hole redrilled and a timesert installed. im hoping it is just the fuel injector and im pretty sure its the rear cylinder not hitting right....so any suggestions???

gummed up fuel system,bad coil or wire.

+1 on the above suggestions.

When you say it starts playing up when you slow down does that correspond with the 'rougher ' part of the engine range?

With that many miles on the chassis you would have to be on the watch for wires worn through in places. I have an '06 12X with 90,000km and it has several spots where I have had to re-route/secure wires where they are showing signs of wearing through - those low frequency vibes just off idle make for a harsh wiring environment.

In particular, the area under the airbox is pretty cramped and the coil wire, the injector wires, the TPS sensor wires, the O2 sensor wire, the cylinder head temperature sensor wires and the intake air temperature sensor wires are all candidates for poor routing. All the more likely if the engine has been removed/ replaced.

Even if your current issue lies elsewhere, it would be worth spending a Saturday afternoon to makes sure all of those wires mentioned are happy campers.

Oh, and don't overlook the really simple things that can be shown up with vibration - battery terminal connections.

If I was you, I'd hook it up the ECM Spy and do a full diagnostic test. This will save you tons of time pulling and removing body work, and you might as well do a quick TPS reset.

where can i get ecm spy

You can get ecm spy at null it's $ 50.00

if i take it to a shop will they be able to tell me whats wrong with it even though its not throwing any codes???

ECMspy is free. the $50 is for the cable. You can get the cable from xopti for pretty cheap here. Yea you can take it to the shop and they may find it. I would be very careful on who you take it to as most HD shops could care less about buells now.

if you can find ecmspy i believe they went to emcread or something along those lines and charge for it???? from what i understand you can still find a demo version of ecmspy but not to sure what you can do with it.

i pulled out the rear spark plug and it had a fine black powder on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast