Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now bike only runs for about 4 seconds then dies...

As the title states, when I start my bike, it runs for about a few seconds, then dies. Maybe just enough time for the fuel in the lines that the pump primes to run out? The pump starts/runs fine. I hooked it up to a gauge and I get a steady 50 lbs of pressure in the line. So, to me, that would rule out a fuel pump. Bad gas? If I whack the throttle, it seems to rev fine.

So, one would assume that it's a fuel delivery issue. My question, is what kind of fuel delivery issue, lol.

It seems I keep asking for help, and can't provide any of my own. One day.

Check or reset your TP/TPS. Probably just an adjustment needed.

Tps sounds right, mine did the same but if you kept on the throttle it would run but kinda rough

I just put in a brand new tps and reset it. :(

+1 on the TPS. Most likely a faulty reset. What % or degree is your tps at?

Also, just a quick question, I just bolted the new TPS in, is there a certain procedure I should have followed? I didn't find anything online, and the manual only tells me how to reset it. The % is at 7.1 now. WHich is higher than is "should" be, but it should theoretically still run. Dallas, sorry about yesterday, my phone lost service in Canada, then it died. Thanks for the call, though.

I just want to ride my bike, I have 70 miles of seat time over two weeks, that just isn't enough.

No problem man. I kinda figured that is what happened. 7.1% is perfectly acceptable. I think that mine is 6.9% or 5.7 degree or something like that. Remember the book says to set it to 5.1-5.9 degrees.

Yeah, that put it right at 5.5 degrees. It still won't run, though. Well, it'll start but it won't stay running. Is there something I may have missed in the tps install? I just bolted the new one in and connected the plug.

Does it do this repeatedly? Will it eventually stay running? If you hold a little throttle (say, 2500rpm) for a minute, will it stay running? Mine did that, turnes out to be the fuel pump pushing fuel past the injectors causing a lean (I think) condition. New pump fixed the problem for me. All done at the dealership. Troubleshooting for months, finally replaced the pump, good to go!

my starting issue (w/ video)

If the video looks familiar, consider the fuel pump... and ignore the frustrated rants by me. ;)

It does it every time. If I hold the throttle/rev the bike it will stay running, but as soon as I try to let it idle it dies. I might have to try the fuel pump.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast