Thread: buell stator replacement

I'm trying to replace the stator on my 2004 buell XB12s. I've taken off the primary cover and now I'm looking at the primary drive front sprocket. This is connected to the camshaft. When I turn the main nut that holds the cover, the enter motor turns along with the primary belt and rear wheel. I was told i have to use an air wrench to take this off, but i don't have one and don't have an air compressor either. What other ideas are out there to help me get this off with just a ratchet?

Try a strap wrench,or a chain wrench.They look like a long handle with a chain or a strap on it,wrap it around the clutch to help hold the engine from turning over.I don`t remember,but those could be oppisite treaded.

Or see if you can find an electric impact,instead of an air impact.

i used a deep socket; an extension could be used. i even measured and grinded off a piece of steel angle bar to use to lock the sprockets when taking off the nut

Take a piece of steel bar. Make it fit between the sprokets at a slight angle. Then wedge it in there and it will lock it to keep from turning.

the piece of steel bar worked perfectly and super easy. cost: $5. I still needed a breaker bar (extended rathet handle) about 1.5 ft long. but it all took 10 min. to cut, fit, and remove. thanks for all your help guys

lawdog. you were right on the money. if you get a chance take a look at my most recent post. thanks