Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Track Day (Next Season)

Hello everyone,

Next summer (I live in SD so this season is just about done for me) I plan on doing some track days with my xb9r. First I'm obviously going to take a school, which has a seemingly comprehensive checklist of what I need as far as gear and bike maintenance, so I've got my shopping/work cut out for me there.

"We strongly recommend that you safety wire the oil filter, oil drain plug, and oil fill cap as well as drain any Ethylene Glycol
    fluid from your cooling system and replace it with a mixture of distilled water and Water Wetter or other race approved
    coolant. This is a good idea whether you ride at the track or on the street. Imagine if you are out on a group ride with your
    friends and someone near the front of a group begins to leak oil or anti-freeze on the road surface in front of you.
    Safety Wire is Your Friend!
    • Your motorcycle must be clean with no dripping or leaking fluids.
    • You must remove or completely tape mirrors. We want you watching what's in front of you, not worrying about
    what's behind you.
    • You must completely tape over your headlight.
    • You must tape over or remove your turn signals.
    • Your tail light must be disconnected and completely taped or removed. We want you using your own brake
    markers, not reacting to someone’s brake light.
    • Make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and secure.
    • Your tires must be in good condition with plenty of tread left, no flat spots, no cracks, no cord showing.
    • Set tire pressure. Tire pressures used in track riding are much lower than pressures for street riding. Check with
    your tire dealer to determine what pressure they recommend for your tires when used at the track.
    • Chain is in good condition, lubed, and of proper tension.
    • The throttle must be self-closing.
    • Front brakes must be in good working order with at least 50% of life left on the pads.
    • Wheel weights must be taped. Use duct tape on these.
    • License Plate removed. This is a flat piece of metal with sharp edges, and that’s a bad thing at the track."

What is meant by safety wiring the oil fill cap, filter, and drain plug?

Other than buying gear, the site has a separate list of necessary gear, is there anything that I should do that isn't covered in here?

Finally, I'm concerned about the appropriateness of my tires... Right now I have Michelin Pilot Road Sport Touring tires (older single compound)and they have yet to fail me for grip -barely any chicken strips to speak of- but from autocrossing my car I know that racing does a lot more to a tire than I can/will on the street and I'm wondering if they're up to snuff for a first timer or if I should buy something sportier for next year. I know with car racing it is somewhat beneficial to learn on a less grippy tire because a real sticky tire will only hide your flaws, is the same true with racing on a bike or do you want as much grip as possible for the sake of staying upright?

If they're going to need to be replaced, do you guys have any recommendations for a tire that would be used predominantly for street use with the occasional track day? In my first two years of riding I've averaged about 4,400 mi a season.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Any tips on which suit / boots or is it not terribly vital as long as it comes with proper protection?

I'm also hoping to do a track day eventually. Doubt I'll make it next season though, probably the one after it.

As far as safety wiring, check out this website... http://emra.ca/index.php?pageid=racewire

You drill a small hole through the important bolts and wire them in a way that they can't untwist themselves while you're riding.

WOW thats a great web site about safety wire. :)

Your going to ride Novice at least your first time out you pilot roads will be more than adequate.
    Get a spool and the pliers it makes it way easier.

Guanlet gloves
    a Good snell or ece helmet.
    good boots and a suite.
    I bought the Alpine star trigger one piece.
    here is a great place to get gear
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

when it is time for tires.
    Dunlop q2 Micheline pilot powers.
    if you want a near race tire pure powers
    Headed to my third half day Wednesday it is a great time

Thank you for the posts.

Next year I will goto my first track day, Cant wait!

Excellent info on the racewire.

Other things you need to consider are a spine protector ,chest protector,padded shorts (hip and tail padding) and if you go with a one piece suit get a cycle skin(one piece under armor type suit.

The knoxx spine and chest i bought is what i see the most. If your unsure how much your going to track ride you can rent a suit and spine protector i know
    http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/
    offers them

Different groups have different requirements for their track days. I'll be doing my second track event with Sport Bike Track Time in two weeks at Grattan, MI. It's a blast and for beginners you really don't have to mod your ride too much.

Track days are a blast... They make for long tiring days, but improve your skills as a rider 10-fold. Definitely consider a spine protector and any/all other protective gear you can fit under your leathers. I started doing track day this season, and am hoping to add in race day for next season. I have a lot of shopping to do as well (Trailor, tire warmers, better stands, race plastics, safetywire, etc)

Just remember to respect your machine, and it will do the same to you!

Currently Offline
    [?] User Rank: Second Lieutenant

Different groups have different requirements for their track days.Â* I'll be doing my second track event with Sport Bike Track Time in two weeks at Grattan, MI.Â* It's a blast and for beginners you really don't have to mod your ride too much.
    you ridding both days? May be up there myself.
    You have the 1125r might have talked to you a couple months back in the paddock area

Sometimes, for novice or intermediate levels, safety wire is not mandatory. My local track allows a dab of silicon on the filler cap, and drain plugs.
    I will say, if you do it, beware. You'll probably be hooked. I am. It's sooo much fun it 's ridiculous.

Ah, I believe them when they say safety wiring wouldn't be a bad idea even on a street only machine, especially with our paint shakers.

Also, what do you guys run for tire pressure?

Coolant? ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast