Thread: Thermostat for xb's

Hi,

anyone knowing where in can order a thermostat for my xb 12s?
    Got a super big 19 row oil cooler for the xb.. I have standard engine and indications say i need a thermostat for this (to get the correct temperature)... Hey Lefox, any ideas?

Thanks
    R

I'm must be missing something here. Where would you use this t-stat. I really don't see where our engines would risk running too cool no matter what size cooler you put on. And if you did have that much cooling power, you cant block off the oil with a t-stat to help bring it up to temp, then the engine wouldn't get lubed. Like I said, maybe I'm clueless.

The t-stat they are talking about doesnt stop oil flow. It just re-routes it from going through the oil cooler before going back to the engine. Unless you are riding in 30 degrees or below, its not needed.

that makes sense

BuellPartsGuy (+ all of you),

(Why thermostat? I try to explain..)

first of all.. i live in a more northern climate than you guys (= colder), for those in Arizona this might be super.
    Well, i ended up buying a large race oil cooler and air duct (last year), reasons not mentioned here. But i can say, this piece is large! Frankly i would not buy it now since it was quite difficult to mount and i just think it was a construction which made many hard words slip out when fitting (and reworking) it

I have not been driving the bike yet, it's too cold here still (snow - again). I do wonder, since original cooler is 5 or 6 row, this is 19 row and my engine is not a bigbore. Worstcase scenarios, this cooler will not let the oil reach correct working temperature and the engine won't lubricate sufficently? Or, am i mistaken? Second to this, i wonder about the original oil pump and if it can handle this size? Please, no discussion on why i bought it. Fact is, i have it, it's mounted and i just try to figure (with some help) if i need to wonder if this was a bad idea!?

Also been thinking of a change of oil, due to the cooler... All ideas and tips = appreciated!

Thanks
    R

well...

without actual details of the cooler, current oil, operating temp, ...it's hard to give any advice.

since i'm not that 'at home' in the oil-cooler stuff, i've done some research concerning the matter...

all say that you can't just change the cooler but need a complete 'system', which means that a thermo is a must. otherwise you could do some damage to your engine.
    not just any thermo, but one specificly for aircooled bigtwins, since there's a difference in working temp.

changing oil is not an option, cause not only will your low-temp lubrication change, your high-temp lube changes too.
    you should already have oil that has the specific characteristics to run in an aircooled high performance twin.

options for you could be:
    - easy mount oil filter adapter with internal thermo: click
    - jagg manual bypass valve: click

for a complete option, supercooler with built-in thermo: badboy cooler for buell

i would also suggest an oil-temp meter.

for the pump...it should be able to handle the specific aircooled highperformance twin oil in it's coldest and warmest working temp.

helping the oil cool can be a good thing with a complete system, but going from a 6 to a 19 row is maybe a bit of overkill???
    all depends on use ofcourse...

hope this helped

Well, thanks Foxie.

However, i will get it back to original. I can say, do not play around with these devices, i ended up with only problems costing me way too much!!
    I need to have original brackets rebuilt, to fit old cooler. With bigbore/track it might work with such big units, but for regular, or fast driving, street usage - keep away or be poor in finding an answer leading you in reversed direction. It is poor fitting of the glassfiber parts and all oil pipes needs to be replaced. It might be necessary to rearrange the fitting (place) of the oil filter mounting and more, due to the new oil lines that needs to be routed differently.
    Blarghhh!! - Headache and pure anger.
    Some companies should just sink deep into the hole they came from. Guess if i am happy or
    It's not a bad thing to be cautious when looking for esoteric parts. For now i say leaving the constructing company unmentioned!

you're talking about a complete kit with fairing and all? cause then i probalby know what you're talking about.

that kit is pure racing, though.