Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stripped drain plug / bad dealer visit

Hello all

I had just hit 1000 miles on my '09 XB12XT and was getting ready to perform the 1k maintenance. On my way home the fuel pump fuse blew a few times (low fuel, bad traffic, hot weather..) and so I decided to bring it in to the dealer to hopefully have the fuel pump replaced.

I figured I'd perform the 1k maintenance first so as not to get any grief from the dealer and so as not to have to pay them $200 to perform it.

I am quite comfortable performing maintenance, but figured I'd be careful to do it by the book. Unfortunately when it came time to tightening up the drain plug, I never reached the 26-29 ft-lbs called for in the manual as I had stripped the aluminum threads.

wow, that felt pretty bad. Even more so when I looked around and found that this was a fairly well known issue. I did see at least that some folks were able to get this repaired under warranty and so I decided to take it in.

I brought my bike to the closest dealer: Wildfire Harley Davidson in Villa Park, IL. They noted my issues and said they'd call me with an update. I called them after a few days, a week, another week, and each time they either put me on hold forever, said they 'thought' it was waiting on parts, or told me that they'd call me back (and didn't).

I was pretty blown away by this as I take my cars in for service when needed and have never seen this lack of communication and care. I guess motorcycles are different?

After a month I finally got an answer: my bike was ready to pick up! Great! What had they done? They had done nothing to it because they couldn't replicate the fuel pump issue and I had stripped my drain threads which was not covered by the warranty.

WHAT? It's as if they hadn't heard anything I had told them. I asked if they had approached HD and they said no. I explained again about the poor torque spec in the manual and they said they'd take it up with HD.

Weeks go by.... when I call they say that they are working it out with HD and that they'll let me know.... No one ever calls, so I go in there to pick up my bike: They have done nothing, claim that HD doesn't believe me, and now want me to pay for their diagnostic time!! This after 7-8 weeks of waiting for nothing.

Thankfully the service manager was kind enough to waive the diagnostic charge as that would have been quite an insult, but he suggested that I have future maintenance done there. Maybe I should have had them add some chrome do-dads or something and they might have taken me more seriously.

So now I have a bike that I fear will strand me when it gets hot and of course I have to decide if I should fix the threads myself or try another dealer.

I'm looking for advice here. My understanding is that the HD dealer in Lisle, IL is pretty decent and I could take it there as i'd really like to see the fuel pump replaced as well as the swingarm. Do you think it's even worth trying another dealer? I sure don't want to waste any more time...

Otherwise, I can pick up the timesert kit and fix it myself. In order to install the timesert, is it okay to lay the bike on its side for a bit? I figure that would make it easier to tap square to the surface. I'd rather not take it apart and do not have a jack.

thanks for reading this overly-long post and thanks also for any suggestions

There was an update to the manual to fix that problem. You are definately not the first to do this. I suggest you call HD customer support and deal with them.
    If you are going to fix it your self be very careful not to get any metal chips in the oil tank.

but he suggested that I have future maintenance done there.
    wow after all that I would have a very hard time not laughing right in his face.
    what an asshat

when I start to have issues like that with phone communication I go there phisicaly
    its harder to blow off a guy that is standing in front of your desk

my vote is to call HD and see what can be done, see if a incedent number or any information was generated "when Wildfire called" (the quotes are my sarcastic indicators for "if they did at all" :D) very kindly express your discontent regarding your experience with Wildfire HD to to corporate HD, and request that action be taken, as well as any service they provide be handled at another dealer.

bottom line the fuel pump needs to be fixed, parts are hard to come by so you may be stuck in a wait but it needs to be handled under warranty
    50/50 on the thread issue, I can see both sides here but HD ideally would take care of it for you due to the misprint causing damage, but they could just as easily state that you should have referenced the correction before proceeding (granted you and I know that you are not psychic and did not know there was a manual update and they obviously did not notify you of it before you started turning wrenches but sometimes companys are douche bags like that)

screw the torque wrench next time. just snug it up. sorry to hear about that mess

Sorry to hear about your dramas and can someone tell me the correct torque so I don't do the same?

screw the torque wrench next time. just snug it up. sorry to hear about that mess
    Plug seems tighter than my cars ever have so I figure it shouldn't just rattle itself loose.

Thanks, I will give HD a call.

Here's an update: I called HD customer service who verified that Wildfire HD did not contact them at all regarding my bike. Why am I not surprised?

The rep told me that the torque spec for the drain plug is in fact 26-29 ft-lbs and that since I did the work myself I am responsible. He was not aware of any update to that spec or addendum.

He did give me a reference number regarding the fuel pump and said that they could probably do something about that. I can give that reference number to any deal I wish to bring it to in order to follow up with HD.

It's pretty clear I'll be fixing the drain plug myself.

Any thoughts on whether it's okay to rest the bike on it's side long enough to install the time-sert?

The buell only rests on the hand guard and the tires, so no worries on damage, just wondering if the bike itself will mind being on its side for a while?

thanks

Any auto parts store shoul have self tapping drain plugs. I'm an automobile service writer. Anyway I use self tapping plugs all the time (when a customer dosent want to pay for a new pan) and they work great. Bring in your old plug and get 1 a hair bigger. Screw it in and out a few ties to get rid of all the crap and you'll b good to go.

Good luck with the pump too, sorry your bikes been down so long.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast