Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Upgrades During Rebuild

So it seems that my 2005 XB12R needs an engine rebuild. It started having a metallic knocking sound that I think I have traced down to bad con rod bearings at the crank. So its time to crack the case and make it right, but what else should I do while I have the engine scattered about my table? Is there a good crank and rod upgrade that can prevent this failure in the future? Upgrade Bearings? I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I do want to make sure that this is the last time I even have to open this thing up again, and some extra power is always a bonus too. Thanks!

get the crank welded lightened balanced get the 1450cc kit heads worked performance cams. Revolution Performance has all you need I got 2 years on the extended warranty til I work mine

They look like they have some pretty fancy parts. Specifically I am looking for bottom end rebuilds. Things that would make me never have to worry about cracking the case open again. I see that Revolution does rework on the crank and rods, but how does it compare to say the Darkhorse unit (http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/) that is a full replacement?

Im going to be in the process of a bottom end rebuild this winter as well. I'm very curious about bottom end rebuild options.

Any other thoughts on this, or links to other threads? Thanks!

be really careful with those big bore kits,sure there lots of fun but beware they don't last,they've got a reputation of burning oil around the 5 - 10k mark

Any one else had issues with big bore problems? I have been thinking about it for awhile. either big bore or R1.

my vote is to do a turbo build

^^ R1

My 08 has been chugging oil and needs to be rebuilt. It's a few months out of warranty so it's my bill. I was thinking about a big bore kit but kept reading about reliability issues. Added power would be nice, but reliability is my #1 goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast