Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does clutchless shifts?

I heard about clutchless shifting along time ago, and read about how to do it 'properly' it in sport rider and decided I would give it a shot. I could not do it smoothly out of first gear to save my life but 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 were very smooth. Seems like it works far better at 1/2 or better throttle...anybody else do it on their buell?

i've done it a few time but I don't make it a habit. Like you said it doesn't really like it in 1/2 but in 3/4/5 it works great.

The only time I ever do it is on occasion when I can't tell if I'm in 4th or 5th gear. With as loud as my bike in I had to pull in the clutch, try to shift, realize I'm in 5th, and then just let it out. I feel like I'm a failure, haha. Most people wouldn't know the difference, but if I was around someone else who rode I think they'd definitely pick up on me doing it. If I'm not sure I usually just put some pressure on the shifter and let off the gas for a second. Then if it doesn't shift it just sounds like I let off the gas. If it does shift it usually goes pretty smoothly.

Did is some on my Xb . I up and down shift the 1125r all the time without the clutch but overall the gear box on the 1125 is a ton smoother

XB's don't like clutchless shifts very much. The crankshaft/flywheel weigh so much that gears don’t unload fast enough when you close the throttle or (if installed) trigger the quick shifter. Bikes like the 1125’s and most any other bikes cranks/flywheel don’t have that much inertia and it makes for much smoother clutchless shifts. The XB motor is almost like a twin cylinder single with only 45 degrees between the cylinder banks, a single pin crank and one cylinder firing right after the other it needs a heavy crank/flywheel in order to maintain enough inertia to idle properly.

I do it alot, did it on my sportster and as long as you are riding it hard it is just like any other bike. If you aren't in the throttle inough it will let you know. If you are over 3500 it works pretty seemlessly.

XB's don't have mesher gears. 1125's and japanese bikes do. Its always going to be smoother this mesher gears. Also, your issues b/w 1st and 2nd are due to neutral. It has a harder time shuffling around it.

i would on my dirtbike all day but i never have on my buell. i would recommend at least a little two finger pull on the clutch.

Does the heavy crank/flywheel and lack of "mesher" gears make this technique hard on our trannies where it isn't so hard on the japanese bikes / 1125s? Or does it just make the shifts less seamless?

correct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast