Thread: 06 XB12R Front Brake Locks up..

Hey All,
    New Member here, I just got my first Buell last week. It was a private purchase no dealer involved. When I bought it, the front caliper was off and I was told "it should be fine, I just couldn't get it to pump up". After the longest bleeding session ever, I managed to get it to work. Or so I thought, now when it gets hot the whole system pressurizes and locks up tight as can be.
    I've done a little troubleshooting, I think the problem is in the reservoir unit on the bars but would like to know what you guys think.
    When it locks up the handle is as stiff as can be, I can let pressure out by opening the bleeder and immediately the wheel moves and of course the lever goes back to normal.
    What I found odd is while I was reverse bleeding the system, I could never push the fluid back up into the reservoir. I have a spare reservoir that came with the bike (Now I know why) I'm going to try and get this on either tonight or tomorrow and re-test.
    What do you guys think, has anyone else experienced this kind of issue and had it be something other than the reservoir? I did search through the forums and didn't really find anything that was similar to mine..
    Thanks in advance
    Armand

Make sure it's a lever meant for an XB. We have found out that you can fit a gsxr lever with some slight modifications. If it wasnt ground down right they've been known to lock up the front brake. Otherwise swap the cylinder and see how it does. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up on the lever, It looks untampered with. I did get the cylinder swapped and everything bled but didn't get a chance to try it due to the weather. Hopefully by this evening it will stop raining.

Like Maiden said, probably just the wrong lever. Super easy way to tell if it's the lever is to take it off and ride. If you're brakes don't lock up than you know the Master Cyl. is good.

I got a Blast lever on short notice one time so I could ride while I waited on the Pazzos, front brakes locked up within a 1/4 mile - rode home with Rear only, ground off the profile that pushes the Master Cyl. "button" and voila, I was good to go.

My guess would be the lever,ones for the 8 piston caliper fit right on and look the same and will cause the same problem.I had the same trouble when I switched levers last year and got the wrong one by mistake.

I managed to take it out yesterday, got the brakes nice and hot and everything seems good. Can't say it won't be in the back of mind for a couple rides, but thanks for everyone's input. It's much appreciated. :)