Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reusing rotor bolts?

So getting ready to swap my wheels and read somewhere it's a good idea to use new bolts for the rotors and pully. Looked at ASB and the bolts/washers for both wheels are $100!! Is it really necessary to use new bolts? Are there any less expensive alternatives?

I've reused bolts on other bikes. Never pulled them off of my XB. I'd say you could probably reuse then, BUT I've noticed some of those kinds of bolts on by 2003 are excessively tight, and I know if I tried to pull them all there's a good chance I might need to replace one or two from the heads getting a little twisted. That's what happened when I tried to pull my front brake caliper the first time. Give it a shot but do it when you have a few days to spare incase you need to buy some new ones.

You can get the front bolt/washer from EBR. Not really sure if it can be used for the stock rotors but I'd ask them. It costs 41.00 as opposed to the 61 from ASB. Also check out LSHD1. They sell stock parts at 20% off MSRP.

I asked this same question to my local Buell dealership. They reuse them...as did I

I reused all hardware front and rear except 2 of the rotor bolts were destroyed durring removal. Everything else went smooth but before I knew it, I had a 1/2" breaker bad and a 3' pipe on the end. Still couldn't crack the loose. WTF..... I look up the torque specs and it wasent that high. Some more muscle and they start coming out. They(the rotor bolts) had so much loctite it was rediculas. I don't know it there was a machine malfunction or a new guy working tath day or what but..... Anyway yea there was a thread on here not too long ago and aperently the rear rotor bolts are stretch to torque(not sure the exact words) bolts. Only supposed to be used once. I checked em a couple times this summer and no problems with putting the old ones back in. Hope this helps

i reused mine when i ripped my bike apart last winter without a problem. just make sure you line the rotor up right, check the manual for the position, there should be a marker to line up with the schraeder valve. ond dont forget to use blue locktite

The only time I tried to pull the rear pulley and rotor off was when I was changing my tires. Before I could even get the 1st bolt to budge I could see my Torx bit starting to twist slightly so I just stopped there. They're not amazing quality bits, but they're not Harbor Freight part either, so I know there's something going on there. Someday if I need to I'll pull out the impact wrench and just try to yank them out.

Awesome, thanks for the info everyone! Will try reusing the bolts and keep a close eye on them to make sure I don't snap a head off.

Make sure u use Red loctite on everything.

Red? I thought blue was the preferred flavor for this application...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast