Thread: 2009 xb12r sputter

My 09 xb12r with 3278 miles started sputtering and the check engine light came on during my ride home from work. I filled up with gas this morning at the same place I got gas yesterday and every other day. Drove 60 miles to work no problem, got on it after work and had problems within 2 miles of leaving work. The lights dim, slowly get bright, then dim again constantly. It doesn't sputter so bad at a lower rpm. It idles fine, revs up fine, just doesn't ride fine. By sputter I mean it barely runs. Engine light goes off at idle and low rpms. Has no problem starting. What do you think? Bad gas? Bad stator? Bad plugs? Bad plug wires? Luckily it's still covered under warranty for another year and three months. Ruined my nice 70 degree ride home either way.

check your ground wires going from your electronics in your fairing to your frame i found a ground wire cracked up there

I confirmed that it is an electrical issue. I tried to start it the other night and after it just started to turn over everything shut off. Turned the key off and back on and nothing happened. I thought my battery was dead, but it had over 12 volts and I also checked it with a load tester and confirmed it is good. I have not been able to search for the problem yet. I will check the ground wires. Does anyone else know of any simple things to look for before I take it to the dealership?

Ground wires were my problem too. Its right next to the battery so check out those wires first.

I put the battery back in and wiggled the fuses a bit to make sure they had a good connection. I turned the key and everything turned on. It started up fine. I let it warm up, took off down the road and it did great. I got on it pretty good and all went well. It appears to be fixed, but I'm going to ride it to work tomorrow and see how it goes. Could it be that the ECM just needed to be reset?

The TPS needs reset on every XB 2008 + 2nd or third fill up will reset w/ a key turn. Just Turn on kill switch with key off 1st.Then, Turn on key' Don't start the bike yet! then Twist Throttle grip to fully open Firm Hold for one second.twist back to fully closed Firm hold for one second. DO this a total of THREE times Only,turn off Key switch only! Turn on key switch (NOW) you can start the bike. Let it idle for at the least a minute or two.For a COLD bike. Bring up to 3000rpms steady.let go to idle. Back up to 4000rpms steady let idle.This is done on a regular basis.Sometimes you may have to do this every fill up. I do on my buells. Might want to keep a new key switch put up some where gonna wear the tumbler out . But thats just the way it is right now.