Thread: exhaust pipe cracks

so here I am looking over my buell xb12r and I notice on my collector where my pipes come together a small crack at the weld no exhaust trails just a crack so i look a little more and i see exhaust trails on the back side of the collector(motor side). My question is has anybody else had that problem? now before i go and drop a grand on a new pipe, I need to know if this is just routing fault or am i just to hard on my bike?

So it's on the header? I've seen this caused by bad wrapping jobs.

yea its on the factory header pipe. no never wrapped the headers. the head was replaced under warranty because the exhaust stud kept breaking off in the front cyl.I haven't had that problem since they replaced the head last year.

Maybe the header is/was the issue. Maybe it was little off and it kept braking the stud and now it finally cracked itself. Might have been cracked for a while and you just didn't notice it leading you to believe that changing the head fixed the problem. Maybe Buell will pay for a new header. Oh and i got an 09 XB12R, no issue so far.

I cracked one does it have the stock muffler and brackets?
    Mine i attrubited to my custome muffler was having an issue with the front mount.
    Held it heli arced been fine since

well if it still had warranty they would probaly replace it like they replaced the head while under warranty. I just recently heard a ticking sound coming from the front which prompted the inspection,as far as a aftermarket muffler i have is 1/4 the wieght of the oe muffler and the mounts were put in with a relaxed fit with spacers and then secured well and every mount was secure upon inspection, it must be viberation