Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold natured or is the weather draining my new battery

its round 30-40 degrees all day give or take and my baby dont like to start right off. she does by the second push of the trigger button but was just curious my shed i park in isnt climate controled and is that why. if so any of yall have similar situations adn what do yall do to remedy it.

thinner oil will help.if you have electric in your shed put a heat lamp under it.

Make sure you have a battery tender hooked up to it. Im assuming its not getting ridden much with the weather that cold. When a battery isn't used for a long period of time it will slowly go bad. The tender will prevent battery failure.

thinner oil hmm. well its due an oil change and i ride daily and its winter so what would you suggest?. ive only used 20/50. no power to the shed i made it from scrap wood, is 10x10 with a concrete pad and roll up doors on each end. lol im too lazy to back it out in the morning.

buells on line owners manual has a oil weight to temp chart.i would say probably harly 10/30 or a syn oil with that weight.i rode mine all last winter with 20/50 just kept a heat lamp under it.

ill do both just run an extention cord out there or something and its time for an oil change anyhows and i ride daily, i have a suit and a ski mask thing i wear in winter. kinda better then summer riding imo.

I love riding in the winter as well - still commuting daily. The windchill was 15-17 this morning and it does take a pretty good time on the starter to get the bike running, 20 seconds or so? My bike is parked on the street, and I don't have the luxury of having either a battery tender or cover for it. We'll see how long this battery lasts, I don't have much hope.

Holy Crap!

Below 40 and I'm taking my truck!

My starter does something similar, I push the button once and it cranks about half a rev. A second push and it starts fine.

yep cb, thats what mine was doing. ive changed the oil to 10/30 and have a dollar store thermal heater on it at night and its been getting down in the 20s. cranks right up first flip of the switch now and shows no signs of disliking the thinner oil. thanks for the advise yall. tony if your battery is less then a yr old you can get a replacement for free if it dies. lol xl you crack me up drive a truck lol, i challange you to get a winter riding suit on with a ski mask. i bet you a shiny nickel that youll not go back to the truck unless your grocery shopping lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast