Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Battery of choice?

Ballistic makes a really good battery as well, a little more expensive, but a whole lot lighter and factory sealed lithium.

Inactive
    AAA are too small. Upgrade to AA rechargeables! More power!
    got it brett. i never thought of upgrading to AA. i was always under the incorrect impression that the more A's in the battery designation the more power. son of a b....... ya learn something everyday.

Ballistic makes a really good battery as well, a little more expensive, but a whole lot lighter and factory sealed lithium.
    I could not recommend against going ballistics for your everyday battery more. I have gone through 4 of them 2 on warranty. They absolutely do no hold their charge and are very finkle, I just pulled my bike out today after having it on the special charger all winter and it would not start in 30 degree weather and could only produce 5 cranks before it dipped to 11.2volts. However when it is warm out it starts fine and once it starts the bike I have zero issues with the battery, then i get to enjoy the great weight savings. However if you want a set it and forget it battery forget this one. Btw I have the largest 16 cell HD on my 1125CR.

Get it for summer or track days, expect to buy a special charger, expect to take it out or disconnect it completely to get their rated 15% drop per year in voltage claim.

You should always keep a lead acid battery 100% charged. Use a battery tender so you don't overcharge vs leaving on a trickle 24/7. Short trips may not bring a battery back up to 100% charged state. I always leave all my batteries on tenders. Cold temps also slow the rate of self discharge too. If you ride everyday I wouldn't bother plugging in but for the casual rider or if the battery is going to be selfish discharging I would recommend plugging in.

Banned
    I use NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger to charge my battery. What is the difference between Battery Tender and battery charger?

Thats what id call a dual purpose charger/tender, tenders usually use very low amps .75A-750MA to keep the battery topped off when not in use. The one you are using is fine as it monitors and cuts on/off as required. The main point is that once a battery gets too low it does irreversible damage to the battery and will not operate at its max potential any longer

Generally speaking a battery charger is able to bring a depleted battery back up to full charge or give a jump start. A battery maintainer / tender slowly charges a battery til full, shuts off, then turns back on if battery self discharges or is discharged. A trickle charger provides a small amperage charge continuously.

For best battery life keep a battery fully charged but don't overcharge it. Make sure your charger turns off when full. A under or overcharge is bad for lead acid batteries.

I have heard mixed reviews on the desulfators. Your results may vary....... I am not knowledgeable enough to know one way or another if they are effective.

Banned
    I use an AGM battery.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567