" /> F.A.S.T. Air Intake??????
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F.A.S.T. Air Intake??????

F.A.S.T. Air Intake anyone??????
    I have only heard it mentioned in one post, i think it was Lefox or something. I would appreciate any help in finding this and finding out more about it. I apologize if this has already been covered but I've combed the forums and can't find it anywhere.

FIDO-SOL

FIDO-SOL- F*ck It Drive On SOLdier

a fast air intake is basicly a heat-shield with a highflow k&n cup.
    this not only gives the engine more air, but most importantly cool air, which is what a buell needs.

hope this helps ;)

It does to an extent, thank you very much for your prompt reply, any idea where i can get one of these and about how much it would cost? Also I've seen Air Intake's with the cone filter that bolt to the side, just not for the lightning. Any experience with this?

I've already taken off the handguards, and removed the left side air scoop (seems useless on my Buell 07' model as the intake is in the front not the frame like previous models. Also removed the passenger foot pegs. removed the little metal perforated thing that leads to the airbox. Chain guards are going next, as well as the plastic piece around the header/exhaust meeting point. Any other things i could do to strip it down that you know of that is just bolt on/off?

Also I've seen Air Intake's with the cone filter that bolt to the side, just not for the lightning. Any experience with this?
    I think those look awesome, but you can't get them for XB's. Correct me if I'm wrong (LeFox or BPG) but those were just for that intake position on the evolution engines, not the new XB engine? But the FAST intake would be a good idea...more clean, cool air is always better!

Still i wonder about a custom application, but for now, any idea where i can get that F.A.S.T.?

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOSOL
    It does to an extent, thank you very much for your prompt reply, any idea where i can get one of these and about how much it would cost? Also I've seen Air Intake's with the cone filter that bolt to the side, just not for the lightning. Any experience with this?
    i got mine through hillbilly-motors, but they stopped their service. i have no clue where to get it now.

the cone that bolts on the side are forcewinder's for tubers. xb's can't fit those due to the engine placement and frame.

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOSOL
    removed the left side air scoop (seems useless on my Buell 07' model as the intake is in the front not the frame like previous models.
    this part is also for engine cooling. and the upper grille in the airbox is just not enough to get cool air into the airbox.
    i would recommend that you mount that again, but the choice is ofcourse yours.

I was actually counting on the effect created when an open door as a fan set next to it to counter the heat. The air blowing past the open door draws air out of the room same thing with the motor, just hoping it is enought to counter the heat, if not i'll check with the dealer about alternatives to putting the ugly plastic piece back on there. I'm trying to make my buell look nice, not really worried about performance at all because it already does what I originally bought it to do, tear the twisties a new one.

Quoting FIDOSOL
    removed the left side air scoop (seems useless on my Buell 07' model as the intake is in the front not the frame like previous models.

this part is also for engine cooling. and the upper grille in the airbox is just not enough to get cool air into the airbox.
    i would recommend that you mount that again, but the choice is ofcourse yours.

On my xb it doesn't lead to the airbox like in previos models so all it does direct a small amount of air to the side of the engine, no access to the air box, so useless in my opinion. Air will get pushed against and across the motor without the plastic piece there.

FIDOSOL,

I agree with LeFox here, and removing the scoop might be bad news. The LH air scoop isn't for air intake on your model (it was on the previous models). Yes, all it does it direct air to the rear cylinder head, but that is the point! The rear cylinder usually runs hotter than the front cylinder because it does not see the cool open air that the front cylinder does. I don't think it is a good idea removing that scoop and taking the chance of your rear cylinder running much hotter than the front. As an engineer myself, I know that companies do not put un-needed equipment on products. If it was there when it came off the line, it is there for a reason. I would bet that if you took that scoop off, your underseat fan would be running all the time as well.

+1

Dude, no offense, but Erik Buell and the engineers at BMC are better at heat transfer than you. They specifically designed that piece so the two cylinders would run close to the same temp. The fuel map that is in your ECM is designed on that assumption. The fan under your butt was chosen based on that assumption. You only have one narrowband oxygen sensor informing the ECM because of that assumption. You see where I'm going. Customizing your Buell is what it's all about - second to running well and not blowing up.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast