Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air cover - Air scoops - Translucent Plastics

I have seen some pretty cool air scoops / hood scoops on Buell xb's. I refering to the ones where people cut out holes on their air cover and replace the cut outs with mesh. Has anyone ever done this with the translucent plastics? I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions, or pictures if you have them.

Matt

That would be cool but i would think it would be a little more difficult to do on transparent plastics since it's a harder plastic with a tendency to crack. IMO

u would have to attach it with screws or rivets.i epoxied mine on but with translucent that would look like ****. heres mine. just got the mesh from lowes is what guys use for tiling.

bobaganoosh, that looks pretty awesome though. I could imagine it would be alot harder to do it with translucent plastics.

and you would have to attatch the mesh to the backside of the translucents without making it look like crap lol.

I had the translucent blue. I cut out the vents, added mesh but, I did paint the tank blue after here is the pic.

That looks really sweet XBCityX. Did you have any problems cutting the plastic? Obviously the end result looks great.

Not sure how I would attach the mesh to the translucent plastic though... with out gluing it to the bottom of the air box.

The translucent would be challenging with adhering the screen and keeping it looking good.

Here is my old cover before and after I painted it.

All those modded airboxes look great ! Will you get the same bonding with a hot glue gun as opposed to epoxy or is their a difference.

I used a mini sized saw blade attached to the die grinder to make the cuts. I did a lot of filing to the plastic to make it straight and smooth. I attached the mesh with a silicone that was heat/water resistant. I took about a few weeks. The bike was down for the winter anyway so I got to take my time. I also did the tail chop at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast