Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1125r horror stories and love affairs

I bought my 1125R back in February and have about 2500 miles on (I also ride a H-D Road King). I had issues with a rough/jerky response below 3000 rpms and some stalling when taking off from a stop at a traffic light. I had the bike back in for an ECM recall that seemed to help some but I've learned to just rev it a little more when taking off. I also had the bike back in for a 5th gear galling recall but never experienced any problems with the tranny before or after the recall. The engine does put off a lot of heat, especially on real hot days 85+ degrees, but feels good on those chilly mornings. Overall the bike handles well and has a lot of power, probably more than I need! My 21 year old son rides a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 and it is faster than my Buell but for most riding purposes I hang with him. You can go from 20 to 120 mph very quickly and I've had it up to 145 and it was still climbing - I just backed off. There have been some issues but overall I really like the bike. I'm partial to the V-twin as I've riden Harleys for 30 years and was happy to see what Buell did with this bike. Highway it gets about 35 mpg running 75-85 mph but drops down into the mid to upper 20's when riding hard and in the city. Service at Temecula (CA) Buell/H-D has been pretty good considering I bought the first Buell they sold.

well my last post refered to a fuel vent issue and today i recieved a recall for the fuel vent and hose routing( if you havent noticed the hose off the vent dumps right on the exhaust! what a bad idea!!!)

well got a new prob. i dont remember the specifics but a few months ago i had a rear turn signal go out. i had the l.e.d. replaced (under waranty) and yesterday i left from a stop sign, turned right, and rolled on the throttle. i never rev this bike very high( over 8000) but for some reason this day i hit the rev limiter. while the turn signal was still on. as soon as i shifted and let off the throttle i noticed the right turn signal indicator was blinking very fast. it worked fine 20 seconds earlier. rear led is out again. same one i dont remember what i was doing when it went out the first time.
    so...maybe the rev limiter causes an electrical surge. anyone have any thoughts?????? im still waiting for new one to come in so i can take it in for replacement and further investigation into this issue.

Holy smoke I think you figured it out! My friend bought a 1125r with 160 miles on it and it had BOTH rear LEDs out. That must mean someone redlined it in break in on his bike. Not good.

Good find though!

Quote Originally Posted by lb1096
    ...maybe the rev limiter causes an electrical surge. anyone have any thoughts?????? im still waiting for new one to come in so i can take it in for replacement and further investigation into this issue.
    Wow! This is not good. You would think somebody at Buell would have taken care to source blinkers that would accept a wide voltage input, 6-18 volt lets say. Maybe 11 thousand RPM was never though about by harley designers?

glad i could help i guess....

I dunno, the rev limiter=voltage spike idea doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The response of the voltage regulator (if working correctly) in limiting any spikes should be sufficient to keep the LED's from smoking.

A typical LED operates at 20-30mA but it will take a surge of over 250mA for a very short period of time. So unless the regulator is FUBAR I would think that it is just a coincidence.

Just my 2c...

hey,i appreciate any thoughts or ideas. well i put the bike in neutral, turned my right turn signal on, and reved it up till the rev limiter hit and now i have both rear leds out. so dave id say somebody has been over reving your friends bike.

2008 1125R with 160 miles traded in at a (not buell) dearership... Made me wonder from the beginning...

Thanks lb1096!! I'll let him know. I think you should call Buell and tell them about your find!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast