Thread: I'm removing motor

so i have rocker box leaks, cracked header at collector,misc little issues with hose and wire routing.what i am looking for is the thread i seen one time on rotating the engine,I would like to look it over to maybe give me some tips and what to watch out for maybe somes tricks hear and there. all help is appreciated

The biggest problem is typically the rear swingarm bolt.
    Make sure you get a good purchase on it the first time because if it gets rounded even a bit you will need to drill it out. In my experience 1 out of every 10 needs to be drilled.

Nothing you mentioned needs to have the motor removed to fix, you can do the whole top with the motor in place, make sure it justified the removal.

How-to-Engine-Rotation-on-XB-models

and you might learn a few tricks here

HOW-TO-REMOVE-HEADER-NO-ENGINE-ROTATE-NEEDED-with-pics

search or see manuals above or

here the big list here 120-Helpful-Links-for-Buellers...and-growing it is required reading.

Nothing you mentioned needs to have the motor removed to fix, you can do the whole top with the motor in place, make sure it justified the removal.
    To remove the header you pretty much have to rotate the motor. There is another way that is much simpler but it requires removing the shock in order to get to the rear header bolts. Keep in mind an engine rotation is not an engine removal.

Not true, you can get it out without rotating the motor,

Lift it off the ground and rotate to collector down. Take off the upper head screw and pry it away, it only needs to move about 1/2 inch.

Not here to dispute but I work on these for a living.

well thanks for all the suggestions My intention is to rotate the motor and replace rocker box gasket it leaks like a harley. when the techs worked on my bike under warranty they did not secure or organize the hoses and wires around the back of the starter to well and its very oily from the rocker box leak and while i am there i just want to get it all clean and organized shielded from the rear header pipe and when i am done welding the pipe up I will wrap the header pipe.Again thanks for all the help you guys are a terrific asset to all of us Buellers