Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can u lower a buell xb9sx

My bad BuellerPilot, I tend to forget about the S bars for some reason. Good call on me

Precision Engineering sells risers that lift the bars up so when you slip the fork tubes, they don't hit the bars.

Also Wild Hair Accessories sells lowering adapters that will drop the rear about an inch.

Precision Engineering sells risers that lift the bars up so when you slip the fork tubes, they don't hit the bars.
    But they'll still hit the dash/instrument cluster!

~Mike.....

thanks i may go w the riser and lowering adapter unless i can find sum1 local who is willing to swap and help me do the work. n lots of new info i did not know about.

All my post must be invisable?

~Mike....

no its not that buellerpilot, its im really just tryin to see what my options are and id rather get suspension off the low model.. but i really dont know much bout workin on bikes. id like to lower the bike and not lose handling.but as of now i can only get 1 foot on the ground at a time. im not askin much but another inch id be fine..... i think..

you will spend as much to slip the forks as you would getting low forks, and commonly guys want to trade.

to slip the forks you would also need an adapter that pushes your gauge pod forward so your forks don't hit it, the only one I know of is make overseas and is spendy, plus it will take more skill to slip the forks than it will to do it right, it is way to easy to improperly slip the forks and have them not be tight enough in the triple trees and end up dropping the front of the bike on the ground as the forks shoot up towards your face.

the clamping section isn't all the way down a fork its wider where the forks go you can damage your forks doing this or hurt yourself if you do it wrong.

slipping forks takes balls and knowledge, some guys have done it and not had any problems but these were guys that could take the bike all the way apart and put it back together.

All my post must be invisable?
    BP and Delta are correct. I wanted to get home and look at mine before jumping back in and posting bad info…
    I actually installed risers a while back on the Scg in prep (fork slip) to lower it for my wife. After installing, it appeared it was close but would come up ~ .5 inch. I have been holding off doing it because she isn't riding it yet, I am. When I got home last night and looked again, WTF was I looking at before?? Maybe .25 but it would be touching. :(

Poking around behind the flyscreen it appears it can be spaced out to provide the clearance but is it worth it? Seems like there are some weird tamper-proof fasteners that would need to be pulled and replaced. F it. Shes gonna have to wear thick sole boots...

I started out with the 9 Low, and eventually collected all the parts to make it a normal S. I think the easiest way was definitely browsing ebay and the forum and just picking up the right shock/forks/sidestand. You could get that adaptor for the rear shock, but it probably costs more than I paid for my whole used shock. It's not hard to find them for no more than $50 shipped, not to mention you're going to have to go buy a spring compressor anyway to get it on. The forks are obviously the most expensive part, I think they usually go for around $200. I've heard that the normal S forks can have shorter springs put in them to make them shorter, but I'm not too sure about all the details on that one.

Is this your first bike? I only ask because when I started riding I thought all bikes were too tall/big. After I rode for a while it feels perfectly normal. I'm only 5'8 and 145lbs, but I though the 9sl was way too low for me. I currently have the normal suspension and the low seat, and I'm still hoping to pick up a normal seat by spring. I do have the tallest SX seat too, and I can ride on it perfectly fine but I just think it's too uncomfortable(and ugly). If you KNOW what height you want then do whatever, but if this is your first bike and it just seems too tall, I'd definitely recommend trying to buy a 2nd pair of forks and a shock so you can swap back if you decide you want it higher later. You sacrifice a little bit of the functionality when you go to the shorter forks, it's a noticibly harsher ride, plus why front wheels is so much harder to get off the ground. That last part could go either way, but I considered it a negative.

its my 5th bike i believe but im only 5'2i can barley kick out the kick stand cuz my legs so short! lol.. last bike was 07 gsxr 750 but stock i could get both feet on the groud..(well tipy toe). i just wanna be super comfy.also i really appreciate all this imput.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast