Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike still running rough

I'm going to check my timing today and will write up a how to with pics (or maybe a video, we'll see). I have a sort of dumb question, especially since I claim to be good at this sort of stuff....I've only tried to use a rivet gun once, and failed. The back side of the rivet would not crumble and bite down like it should, why would this happen? If I need to adjust my timing I don't want to not be able to put the cover back on. Thanks.

You can always just thread the hole and use machine screws to hold it on.

Or get some self tapping screws of your choice at the local hardware. I like a pan-head Phillips.

Looking at that screen shot 2 things jump out.

One, the AFV is precisely 100% which seems suspicious.
    Even with everything spot and the weather and altitude at 70 degrees and sea level, I'd still expect it to be 97% or 105% or something.
    I'm suspecting you weren't going in a straight line at a steady RPM long enough for the ECM to make an adjustment.

Two, the voltage reading looks high for zeroed out TPS. I had a similar problem and it turned out that I didn't reset the TPS to absolute zero the first time I did it. I forgot to twist the throttle backwards and the throttle cable was holding the butterfly slightly open. IIRC the value of that voltage reading should be closer to 0.6, although obviously it varies otherwise there would be no reason to do a TPS calibration.

That said, spark plugs are cheap on these bikes, might as well hit that up while you're wrenching.

My 07 XB12R was running rough so i went to change the plugs, turns out the front cylinder plug wire was loose at the coil. check that

Thanks for the help. As far as the values on the screenshot, I had plenty of 5-10 minute long cruises at part throttle around 40-60mph for the AFV to adjust, and I don't know why the TPS value would be wrong, I adjusted it just like the how to video on this site said to(made sure it was zeroed by backing it off 2 turns past once it closed). I am still working on getting to the timing also, it seems everything I ever plan on doing happens a week behind schedule lol. I think I am also going to change the plug wires and I am going to put on the uni air filter I bought to try and rule out bad wires and air filter. I guess I'll have to reset the TPS when I change the air filter again.

I'd also check to make sure the computer learn function isn't turned off in the ECM-Config tab. It's probably on but you never know.

As far as the TPS values, I just checked mine. 6 degrees, 7.1% and 1.07 volts. Mine runs perfect. Since the degree and percentage must be calculated, why the disparity?

I'm not following....so are you saying mine appears to be ok then?

I'm not following....so are you saying mine appears to be ok then?
    Sorry, I was just thinking aloud. I thought your readings looked fine.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast