Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Questions

So i am changin my oil today and was curious as to what some of you guys use on y'alls bikes. Should i just go fail safe and get an HD one.

i use the buell/hd filters.heres a list of other brands Fram # PH4967
    ACDelco # UPF1233
    Car Quest 85394
    HiFloFiltro #HF177
    K&N # hp-1003, KN-177
    Napa # 1394
    Mobil 1 # M1-103
    Motorcraft # FL836 Wal-Mart Super Tech # ST4967
    Wix#51394

I use the Wix and Napa filters

I'm recently switching to full Synthetics(royla purpal) and was just wondering if anybody had a opinion and advice on the matter. Mainly due to my buddy giving me crap.

Just make sure that you use oil that is designed for bikes or at least has the right kinds of detergents.

I want to switch to a synthetic too. I think I'm going with RP 20w50 Max Cycle, or Mobil 1 20w50 in both the swing arm and the primary?

watched the vid on changing oil.... but after draining the swing arm he mentions starting bike. Wont that MIX my fowled oil with my pretty new crystal clear synthetic??? And i am switching to synthetics...so i was just hoping somebody could help clarify.

The engine oil in the swingarm and primary oil do not mix...starting the bike after changing your engine oil will not contaminate it with old oil.

I'm using royal purple max cycle 20/50 in my swingarm and primary and am happy with it. Mobil 1 is less expensive and easier to get it seems. I'm using the Wix filters, too, and happy with them so far.

I also use Royal Purple MAXCYCLE 20W50 in swingarm & Royal Purple MaxCycle 10w30 in the primary.(but most will say to use at least 10W40 or 20w50 in primary, i used 10w30 because thats what Royal Purple reccomend in it, and it runs great and smooth, my next oil&primary I will use RP MaxCycle 20w50 in both holes..
    Mobile 1 V-twin syn is good to, an less expensive and easier to find. I also use the K&N oil filter KN177.. K&N makes great filters so do wix (in my opinion they make some of the best) plus the K&N#177 is black .autozone & oreilys can get itin a few days for you or just orderit from Summit Racing .com for a better price and quick shipping.
    my other reccomendation is Make sure the oil you use is (and says it on the bottle)design for motorcycles, and design for a 4 cycle motorcycle engine, not a 2 cycle(2cycle/2stroke I.E like some off road dirt bikes or chainsaws weed eater type engines that use oil mixed in the gasoline) not oil for regular 4 cycle 4 stroke gas engines ..ie regular cars and trucks

BUT Remember this...
    yes OIL is cheap and easy compared to an engine rebuild .or trans rebuild.. your oil and filter is the cheapest insurance for your engine , no matter what you drive or ride , use the best(that you can afford) and change it regularly . its worth it. gotta take care of the buell. and other vehicles for that matter. I would rather pay the extra $5-$10 more per bottle for the best oil for ALL my vehicles including the buell, why take a chance on it just cause you're savin a little $$ but thats my opinion. (the cost isn't going to add to big amount even if you're change 3-4 times per year.)

USE the best that you can afford , same goes for the filter (oil & air)...

Daves-DIY-videos-all-in-one-thread

120-Helpful-Links-for-Buellers...and-growing

what oil do you use

-what-oil-would-you-recommend-

Buell-Clothing--Parts-List---Foreign--Domestic

Wix and Napa filters, they are the same and that's what I use. Been using Castrol Syntec 10W40 but will use Amsoil when I change it this week or next just to see any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast