Thread: XB12Scg Suspension Tuning

Hello All,

I just got my new XB12Scg last saturday. Reading the manual at home, I noticed that, at least, the front fork suspension is not well tuned for my weight.

The point is that I asked the dealer on the day I got the bike to tune it to my weight, and waited for it...

It should have 4 lines there, where I see 6...

Is there any possible reason for that to be done ? They knew it would be my first bike ever, and I wonder if that tuning would make it more "rideable" for newbies like me.

Any insights ?

Tks, Rodrigo

Go back to the dealer if you don't wish to set it yourself. You know, if you buy a brand new bike, the dealers ought to help you out until you're satisfied.
    Suspension settings is important for handling/safety and comfort. It makes a very important act under heavy braking. Try set the front fork preload of lines as the book says, it has nothing to do with newbies or not. Let's say you have 5 lines for your weight (by the book) and that is too hard, then go to 5½ line. If it is too soft, you turn to 4½. Don't forget to try and adjust little by little, on compression and rebound. Don't set front fork and the rear shock at the same time, you might be confused. When one of them (rear shock or forks) feel good to you, try adjust the other. Some guys might advice you to set suspension stiff/hard, but if you don't race or go on super excellent roads all the time, you should set suspension for comfort and feedback. You know, a bump in low mph feels and acts very much different than the same bump does when you travel really fast.
    Try to read some suspension guides (at the internet) and talk to the dealer again. You will learn by reading and testing.
    Good luck!!!