Thread: 03 to 09 XB swingarm swap

will a swingarm from an 03 xb9r fit on an 09 xb12r?

i am pretty sure it will but you might need to get different oil lines

Yes, the only thing you will need is a set of custom rear oil lines.

I did an '09 Ss swing arm swap to my old '03 and it all bolts up minus the oil lines.

Mine, I utilized the front half for hard lines and then braided for the rear. Cost about $100.

don't forget you'll need a new belt. your belt will be to long from the longer swingarm. i don't think the idle pulley will pick up the extra slack. that if your going from a 09ss to a 03r swingarm and im not sure about the oil lines

No he won't need a new belt he is going to a '09 R Swing arm not an Ss like I did. If you want to go to an Ss you will need more that just a belt and lines.

If you want to go the Ss route it goes like this.

Let me start off by saying this might seem like it is to much but once you get into it you will see it isn't really as much as it seems.

The shock on a STT is the same height as the R, the difference is in the length of the reservoir line, I will attach a pic of the Ss shock next to an R shock, either will work but some mods might need to be done to fit the STT reservoir since it is so short.

Also the longer swing arm mounts the bottom of the shock further back so it will lower the bike drastically ~3 1/2", I will also attach a picture of a bracket I had made to fix the problem. Also you will need to either lower the front by slipping the forks or get Scg forks, if you don't build a bracket to accommodate the proper height. If you do lower it you will also need to shorten the kick stand to accommodate.

To the oil lines, they are completely different, so both of you will need custom lines to make the swap work. I used the front hard lines and had braided line made to length to fit to the swing arm.

Thing you dont need to worry about are the swing arm will bolt right up, the wheel will mount, the brake line is long enough, the sprockets wont be an issue since you have an '05 ('03 had a different sprocket).

Shock difference, the STT just has a different color spring.

Bracket, if you draw a straight line through the shock the bottom needs to be mounted lower than the swing arm mount to keep it from flipping backward. Note too I wanted my bike to be lowered so my bracket is actually setup to give the bike a 2" drop, if you wanted to maintain the stock height you would need a different height bracket.

Oil lines stock hard lines then custom to the rear.

Here are how the lines are run

Then a couple shots of my bike. The good stuff!! I also have a S tail swap and chopped the fairing down a few inches.

read the original post.

will a swingarm from an 03 xb9r fit on an 09 xb12r?

here is a picture of a 04 pretty much the same
    swingarm as a 03

now he wants to put the 03 swingarm on a 09

the total opposite of what you did which would shorten the wheel base.

The swing arm is the same length. I know he wants to do an '03 to '09 and the answer is the same, new custom oil lines would be needed.

I posted mine to show what an option would be, in his case I would still use the front hard lines and then opt to braided lines to the rear.

my bad, thought the 06 and up rear swingarm were 1 inch longer. thanks for setting me strait :)

Nope just changed the design, they did just changed the pulleys in '04, but were the same belt and pulley setup from '04-'10