Thread: cracked header

I am wondering how many out there have seen a header crack at the collector.I'm looking to weld it up and wrap the pipe. or maybe buy a new pipe from aftermarket co. is there a header out there with different bends?

Micron if you can find them, but discontinued now. Anything else will have to be custom built....I know a guy ;)

baja you sly dog... ofcourse you know a guy, you see him every day in the mirror.

well baja do have any pics of your work and what is your price range?

I can't tell if mine is cracked. In fact, I tightened three header bolts today. Shouldn't there be 4 bolts to tighten? I could not see the top bolt on the rear cylinder on the exhaust. They were pretty loose though, enough to literally swing the bottom of the exhaust pipe about 3 inches side to side. I tightened them all, though I only see 3 (three) header bolts. Any way to see that fourth one?

Azanga

Oh! Also, I'm here in Marietta, GA. I don't have a muffler at all. I'm running straight down pipe. I haven't been ticketed. In fact I had a GHiP ride next to me and didn't turn a head. They seem to understand that houses the Harley motor and they also think that being heard is a good thing. You don't see too many people complaining about 500 bikes roaring down the mainstreet, do ya? Then why worry about a lone rider, whom you may not see, but hear and prevent an accident?!

Azanga

yes there should be 4 header studs and nuts. they are not bolts, btw. the top rear cyl exh stud is very hard to see, but it is visible, even on an XB12 (unless it broke off, and is no longer there) mine snapped off last week and the stud/nut got caught in the front belt/sprocket cover. i had just changed mufflers and took the opportunity to snug up the header studs. apparently i over did it.

try using a flashlight and getting your head all up in there. if it broke off you'll have to rotate the motor and remove the stud from the jug, and then replace it with a new stud
    *****DO NOT TRY TO USE AN 'E-Z OUT' *********** it will break, and then you will be effed.

if you can't tell if your headers are cracked, take some pics and we should be able to help you come to a detirmination

and
    you should not run with the headers un-supported. you will wear out the exhaust seals (that's probably why your headers had so much slop at teh collector)
    also you will stress the studs to the point of failure, and possibly crack the headers. i've seen cracked headers on an XB12R where the front muffler mount failed, and the rider/owner just left it and kept riding the piss out of it.

YMMV