Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 05' XB9SX sputtering alot and doesnt seem to want to go past 4k rpm

Hi fella's,

My name is Brandon. New here and new to Buell. I just picked her up today. Its got about 25k miles. On the way home from Dallas on the highway, i noticed it was hesitating alot and backfiring and stuttering. I was following my girlfriend back to town and as she aproached 70mph i was having trouble keeping up because it would stutter real bad and the red light with the cylinders on it would blink as i tried to go past 4k rpm. Luckly i made it all the way home. It studders even at low rpm, but will haul balls up to 4k and then no more. I need to figure this out. This is my daily.

Sorry if i seem ignorant, but i am when it comes to this bike. As far as i know, there are no mods.

Thanks

Brandon

Well, tonight on the way home from class i pretty much ran into the same stuff. I did however punch through 4k rpm. ( it was great!) it really seems like it doesnt like a steady throttle. If i dont move my wrist after a few seconds, it boggs and sputters. So im constantly speeding up and slowing down. Looking like a fool.

On another note, i dont know what this part is but on the left side of the bike there is a hose leading down to some sort of bulb and and the hose is all cracked and collapsed. Mabey not helping? Lol. Ill throw that on the fixit list.

Thanks again!

post up a picture of that hose, not too sure what it would be.

might need a TPS reset? just a wild guess.

The screwed up hose is probably a breather reroute - Click Here for Reference - Start with the real simple stuff and check your Battery connectors and trace the grounds coming out of it to your frame to make sure it isn't loosened up. Then move on to checking/changing your spark plugs - NGK Iridiums (DCPR9EIX) are great replacements. Oh, and be sure to download the free Service manual by following the link at the top of this page, it'll be a great help when it comes to general maintenance stuff.

Throw up some pics of your bike and the hose and make this an Intro thread for you as well. Welcome to the Board.

Thanks! Will check those, and ill try and get some picks up.
    Thanks again!

Well, this morning i pulled off the seat and air box to look around and i noticed the negitive batt cable was a little loose and i tightened it up. I headed to and arrived at work (11 miles) with relativly no problems. So i figured, "great! All fixxed!" Nope, after work, shortly after i left, it all started again. When i got home, i checked the cable again and it was still snug. I took it out again later to see what happens and the same thing did. This time, that red light with the cylinders came on and stayed on until i turned off the bike. What is that by the way? Knock sensor? Id love to diagnose this and fix it but this is my daily and needs to be fixxed ASAP. so ill probably take it to the Harley dealership near here and get it taken care of.

Oh, i would post pics but, my only computer is my iphone. So its kind difficult.

You can check your own engine codes w/o ECMSpy like this: Check Engine codes w/o ECMSpy. Might as well get ECMSpy and buy a cable from Xoptiinside.com. You'll need it anyway for future troubleshooting and custom tuning if you decide. You check the plug cables & other stuff yet?

Edit: Here's the program: ECMSpy Download

Wow! That program looks great! I'll have to download that once i get a computer!

I havent had much of a chance to do much other than a look over withe the seat and air box off.

When i did though, i saw some what of a mess. The bike previously had been "looped" and laid down. So there are wwires missed with for the tail light, i dont have a reference of what i should see. So im somewhat lost and frustrated. I dont know what has been modified and what hasent.

Hopefully tomorrow i can post some pics and mabey yall might see something out of the ordinary.

Thanks again!

You can check your own engine codes w/o ECMSpy like this:Â* Check Engine codes w/o ECMSpy
    Awesome post.

well, i just downloaded ecmspy and ordered a cable. Thank you for directing me to do so.

I also took the bike down the road to Oreileys and had them check the battery(i dont have a multi-meter). They said its perfect! 13.**(08?) So, not the batt. Te guy asked if i have used sea foam yet... Should i even try?

Oh, here are some pics!

Have you met LADY IGOR?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3430704...7625965001809/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast