Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough start when cold....fine when warm

i have a 2003 xb9r with 10,8xxx miles. When I start it cold it takes a couple tries till it will actually fire and start up but it sounds like its missing and pops when i give it gas and will stall if i dont give it any gas. If I rev it cold it will lag about 1/4-1/2 second and rev up but will sometimes pop and then while it downrevs it will either hang down around 500-600rpm and stall or just stall in general. So that is while cold, but once a minute or two goes by and it warms up it will idle fine at around 1000-1150rpm stable without me holding it there and will rev fine and wont pop as often or at all on downrev. My question to you all is what causes this, what should i do to eliminate any other causes (if multiple), and how can it be fixed? Here are some videos that i have of
    COLD START

WARMED UP

It's hard to tell what you're doing with your right hand in the video, but there's not really any reason to rev the motor until it's warmed up. That stuff you're doing around 1:25 really isn't what you want to do to a cold motor. Either let it warm up for a minute or two.

As far as why it's taking a while to start, I'm not sure.

yeah this is my first motorcycle so dont mind me if i do something just correct me because thats the only way to learn.

Could bad gas possibly be a cause? or bad plugs?

What weight oil are you using? And what is the temp in the video?

i can only assume its 20w 50 i havent changed the oil yet. in the video it is about 32-38 degrees out. I started it up today (about 45 degrees and it started in 3 tries and took about 30-45 seconds to warm up and straighten out the idle. Tomorrow i will take another video of cold start (its supposed to be 65 in the afternoon) so ill try to get a video up before it gets uber warm out. Then im going to make a run around and see if i can find some plugs and change them and post another video of a cold start and see if it makes a difference.

Change the oil! Put a lighter weight in for cold weather starts. Get new plugs, oil filter and change primary oil while your at it. Davexb has an easy DIY thread. Also...I highly recommend a breather mod if you haven't done so already.

what weight oil should i run? its getting warmer in jersey so ambient temp would be around 40+in the morning. Is the primary oil the same? (i have watched dave's videos and they are allot of help) what part # is the oil filter? (there is a fram on it and i want to get rid of it i hate fram) i have the spark plug number so i should be able to find them (DCPR9EIX) or do you reccomend something else, and the breather re-route will be done this weekend as well.

Change your plugs. You are waiting till the light goes OUT on the dash before hitting the starter button right?

~Mike....

Do you leave your bike outside in the cold? I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it took a few seconds for it to want to start. The oil is thicker and the battery is cold. If it still does it when it's 65-70 degrees I'd be a bit more curious, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the motor is outside in the cold and slow to start.

Also, no biggie on the engine revving, but the fuel injection takes care of all that. Plus the XBs have been known to foul plugs when you rev them for no reason when the bike is idling, so you don't need that. The only reason you're used to hearing people rev their bikes constantly when they start it is when guys need to start their harleys and choppers at bike nights and they need to keep the RPMs up to keep their carbed bikes from sputtering out. They try to make it look like they do it because they want to, but really it's just sad haha

on the thinner oil or keep it inside and put a heat lamp under it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast