Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough start when cold....fine when warm

10w40 for below 40degree starts. Be sure to swich back to 20w50 when it gets warmer out. Be careful with the heat lamp. Dont want to melt plastics. That does work tho. Just dont go park somewere for a few hours and expect it to start in the cold either tho.

well at least tomorrow will be a beautiful day good for working on the bike haha and yeah i wait till the cel goes out (i didnt do that the first couple time because i didnt see it at first) and no more revving haha.

so to do list for tomorrow
    cash cheque
    look for a store that has plugs
    go out and buy oil
    find suplies for breather reroute
    change plugs,oil and do reroute
    then start her up and see how it all went.
    ooh and almost forgot that i have to wash her too...shes dirty

thanks jobe ill probably run the 10w40 for about a month and switch back to 20w50 and i dont think ill risk it with the heat lamp as my garage is a little crowded and that would be the last thing i need it for my bike to catch fire or anything else for that matter. Are there any other plugs that can be used other than the NKG iridium plugs and part#s?

Get the NGK plugs and I'm betting that'll solve most of the trouble. (Auto Parts places can order them.) Oil is whatever your choice is, though try to keep to Full Synthetic Motorcycle-specific. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 with the NGK plugs, and starts in 30 degrees fine. Just swapping to a lighter weight oil alone isn't going to get you good cold starts.

Best cold engine start up habits once you get new plugs is to Start it and let it idle on it's own while you gear up, 1-2 mins. for me. Don't rip it once you start the ride, give it several leisurely minutes of riding to let the engine get up to normal operating temp....then ride however.

And it's tempting to start it up to show off or if it's been sitting for awhile. Don't give in, it'll foul plugs. If you're going to start it ride it. That's just the nature of our steeds unless you get some good custom tuning.

well i did the oil yesterday and filter went with sae20w50 and primary gear oil from HD and a K&N oil filter from autozone. I ordered NKG Iridium spark plugs from autozone and they should be there on tuesday for pickup and ill do the plugs that night when i get out of work. Good news tho...this morning it was much colder than yesterday about 35 out and 25 with wind chill but started the bike up and it didnt fire right away but only took 2 tries to get her going and the idle was stable with no stalling. I also just ordered an ECM Spy cable from ASB for $62 with shipping and if its just like the mirrors i ordered it should be here by thursday-friday, jsut in time to do a tps reset with the new plugs in.

Sorry that I'm a bit late - but it seems like bad plugs to me so hopefully the ones you ordered will solve your issue.

Also - off topic - how can people even see your back blinker??

lol i already took the blinkers off im going to order stock replacements. I am also thinking plugs as well and also from sitting for a while with the previous owner

Just finished the plugs on the XB9R and noticed a couple interesting things.
    Good-Both Cylinders have good compression
    Kinda Bad-Front Plug was indicating that the cylinder has a normal life and wasnt fouled, Rear plug was opposite had allot of gas on it and was wet (indicating fouled or not firing which leads to my nexd discovery)
    Bad-While removing the wires off the boots and coil pack to inspect i noticed that the rear wire has worn through in one spot and looks like it could be grounding out to the frame causing the rear cylinder to not fire and leading to the cause as to why it takes forever to start.
    Good-After everything was done the bike started up after the second try and idled a little low (around 700-800rpm) drove it back to my house (i was in my grage about 1/10th mile down the road) and ran like a champ. Now all i have to do is wait till friday till i can order the wire set and when my ECM Spy cable comes in do a TPS reset and she should be golden for a nice couple seasons of worry free riding and an upcomming trip to the outerbanks :D)

Left plug is the one from the front cylinder
    Right plug is from the rear cylinder (also the plug that had the frayed plug wire)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12