Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Issues

Well, here goes my issue.

Since I got my bike I have had a few small issues with electrical. The battery and stator were bad. So I replaced both once I got the bike home. Battery I had replaced at a Honda shop onmy way backfrom picking up the bike, and the stator I replaced 2 days later at a HD/Buell shop by a tech that was a huge Buell fan.

Now whenever I go to start the bike it will do one of two things.

1) It will click over like the battery is dead for a few seconds, then it will catch and fire up.

2) I hit the switch to start, it with catch, pause for about 1 second and then catch and fire right up.

When I do either of these two things the Clock will reset on the dash which tells me at one point the electrical connection died. Anyone have this issue? I would really like to have a working clock and know that my bike will surely start.

P.S. I do have a Gel Cell Battery, don't know if that will make a difference.

you had your stator replaced, but did you have your voltage regulator checked?

check your connections to the battery and make sure all are seated correctly and have full contact with the battery. check your battery too... I know it is new, but did you make sure to charge it to full? any slight decrease in battery power may cause to act this way... that's all I got... anyone else feel free to chime in.

i would start looking for a bad ground.

I have the same issue... My clock is off most of the time because i dont feel like resetting it all the time. I have to put it on the battery tender whenever its parked so i can be sure that it will start when i next need it. I've looked into a couple things (new battery, checked connections/potential problem areas)but have never got any for sure answers. It would be nice to get this dealt with. Im right there with ya.

p.s. how did you know that you needed to replace the stator?

Checked the Regulator and it was fine. Knew the stator was bad since the bike wasnt charging at all and when we took the casings off it came out in pieces.

I did check the connections to the battery and also did a test of the charging while the bike was running today and I was getting 14.4 volts tothe battery. At rest the battery is at 12.9.

I do have a battery tender plugged in whenever i know its gonig to sit for long periods of time. Im starting to think it is a loose ground like kona said...

Do you happen to know where some of the main grounds are on the bike???

Do you happen to know where some of the main grounds are on the bike???
    other than the obvious battery cable no. i havent had to troubleshoot a problem like this on my buell

my xb12s will some times have a hard time starting on the compression stroke and if i hold the button down during it lights go dim and clock will reset. so what i do is hit/tap the start button once to clear it out. then it fires right up.

Yeah, I've noticed this on mine as well. Very annoying to say the least!! It has only really done it in cold weather, so let's hope when I get back in May that it won't have that issue. I did do as squidbuellie has suggested and "bumped" the starter with a tap of the start switch.

hmm, ill try the bumping i guess.. however then the pump will probably have to prime again. Just doesnt seem right to me. In my opinion there has to be something else going on. Not everyone has this issue, Im fairly positive there is not a grounding problem on my bike, i've had her apart and messed with enough electrical things that i dont think its the case. That and once shes running, there doesnt seem to be any other electrical issue. Other then it stalls really easily before its warm and sometimes stutters at first. I love me Buell but sometimes this just pisses me off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast