Thread: Help! Voltage Regulator, Stator Check

Could someone please outline or direct me to a thread that shows how to test the stator and VR in a simple way. Please keep in mind I have very limited electrical knowledge. I do have a voltmeter and I tested a brand new fully charged battery (Cel codes 16 and 21) and it seems it is not getting charged. (started around 13 DC and gradually fell, even when holding revs to 3 and 4K. I checked simple things like grounds, fuses, and the connectors. Its an '09 with less than 5K miles, garaged in dry Arizona, so no corrosion that I could see.

My warranty just ran out and I inquired at the dealer how much it would be to just change the stator ($600!)
    I've been doing some research and I'm pretty confident I can change out the components myself. Pretty handy with a wrench, but no electrical knowledge!

Even better, if there are any knowledgable Buellers in the Phoenix area that want to pick up a little cash and share a 12 of Corona... PM me!

there are very detailed instructions on how to test all of the electrical thinga-ma-bobs in the factory service manual. you can find a downloadable one at the top of this web site. It will be the same process for all models. I'd be willing to put my money on a bad regulator or connection before the stator.

i think the 09's had a stator problem, the regulator's were updated in 08, so you should have a updated regulator. take off the sprocket pulley cover, right side of bike to the left of the cam cover, find the plug with only three (3) plugs, and use a voltmeter to test each pin against each pin. also put the positive lead on each pin and put the negative lead on a rusty bolt or battery negative, ground. if ur bike starts, use ohms to measure resistance at each pin of the plug. shouldnt be more than .03 or something like that

I just had to put a Regulator on my 08XB12R- You can trace the wires After removal of the air Scoop on the clutch side of your bike.A 27 torx bit and a small 1/4 drive gets up in there,also there's 2 zip cable pushpin goes up into the bottom of the scoop. I just gently squeeze them and push out & Remove the scoop altogether. Otherwise Part number#10177,If needed for the new ones.I extended my Regulator out3/4 of an inch. The heat from the front cylinder, SO i put, 3-New bolts & small hollow aluminum dowels, cost =8 bucks.(Now that being said), UNplug the 2/ sets of wires. Theres flip locks on the connectors so be gentle w/those. Trace the wires lable if needed.Stator will go down near the starter back of Primary area.The other will go up towards the batt. area. Regulator plug is different than Stator plug. To test the Stator Set Multi meter to Ohms It should read Zero depending on the meter you have. Make sure no key is in the switch! You'll see the + on the wire . Hope this helps. Post up let us know!

Now where was I/Sorry about that had 3 customers come in at one time. Now/ the Stator check is as follows/Ign.,switch off. unplug the regulator from the stator wires.Check my previous post.(mark) if needed. Put the probe in the socket on one terminal and find a good ground,usually where the torx bolt goes for scoop is clean! Leave ground as is, put probe on next terminal in same socket your meter set to Ohms should read Zero. (Now take both) probes and put them in the socket This checks Resistance/put one wire each on socket probes is the reading 0.1 OR 0.3 Ohms try not to bump the probes together. If the numbers are higher than 0.1 OR 0.3 / Stator is bad.[I'm Hoping its the Regulator]hope i explained it Ok for you. Good luck.

09xb12R / This test is for AC-current set your meter to at least 100v,or So. The AC test is as follows/#1- Unplug the Voltage Regulator from the Stator wiring.Turn the Meter to AC Volts.Try if you can to put the bike off(rear wheel) the ground for Safety.Now with a charged battery in good condition.#2-start the bike!#3-Put both probes seperately in stator socket You may need long wires (on meter) if you are not able to reach the throttle to bring up to 2100 Rpms. Be careful about reaching across its easier than you think to bump the shifter. Always take the time to be safe.#4-AC output should be at about 40 volts bring up to 3000Rpms should be getting towards the /55 maybe 56volts max. range for good output. :p

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'll do these this weekend!