Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff May & Erik Buell Racing

They've had to strap on extra weight to meet requirements and it's really affected handling is another part of it.

the EBR 1190RS making its debut race last weekend
    July 9th & 10th 2011.

http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/event...&class_sort=SB

Erik Buell Racing:
    ‎11th and 10th first time out. Bike was very solid and reliable, but we waaay underestimated the difficulty of set up with the extra 25 lbs of weight strapped on. Today with all that weight and some chassis changes we made trying to compensate for it (which included running a soft rear tire), we destroyed the tire mid race, and Geoff had to slow way down. We'll try to get some more testing before Laguna.

and if you haven't seen this small video check it out.
    The new EBR 1190RS warming up prior to its first AMA practice !.
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....=1770549158081

thought I would add a link or two , for now....

http://www.amsoilracing.com/Racers/ErikBuell.aspx

AMSOIL will also partner with EBR from a production level in 2011. AMSOIL will be the factory filled and recommended in all new EBR motorcycles that leave the company's East Troy, Wis. facility.
    .................................................. .............

EBR NewsLetter
    http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....J8qoIuZP_j4%3D

http://www.youtube.com/user/RatPakRecords

EBR Official YouTube channel

http://www.gmr99.com/

GEOFF MAY;
    I have a new batch of shirts that will be at Laguna. They will be up on gmr99.com after the race weekend. The new shirt features an action shot of the debut of the 1190rs at Mid Ohio, with the same numbers as I run on the bike, on the back of the shirt.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...AY/79637702922

EBR & Geoff May came in 10th in the race at Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix
    SuperBike Race (23 laps) - American Superbike
    July 24, 2011
    Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
    Monterey, CA

adding 11 points for the season for a total now of 114 points to put him tenth postion for the standings .

next race is
    Round 8
    Red Bull Indianapolis GP
    Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis, IN
    August 27 - 28

http://www.amaproracing.com/rr/event...num=1&did=3258

At MotoGP I spoke to erik for a while as well as the team (pulled out all the different weights they have had to use and showed where the current weight is sitting)

Erik says they still have a race cam that they haven't run yet. Will give about 900 rpms more.

Not sure why they haven't maxed out that engine yet.

Sure, it's good to say, "look, we ran the bike showroom stock other than exhaust and ECU and came in 10th consistantly"

But, I think being a front runner would give more attention to the team.

Also, from going to many of the races this year, Geoff could out ride me blindfolded and sitting backwards... But, I'm starting to question some of his racing lines.

The "fast" guys are taking different lines than him. The 1125rr and the 1090 can go waay deeper and tighter into the corners than other bikes, but hugging the curb isn't necisarily the fastest way around the track.

I want this team to podium so badly. It hurts to watch them struggle.

To be fair, they really dont have any money. The front running Yamaha's are $100k bikes with MASSIVE factory support.

The 1190 is a bike that cost probably 20k to build. So it's doing well in that respect.

I noticed that they CANT datalog engine info after Geoff makes a run. Which is really a necessity racing these days. Also, their fuel maps are the same ones we see using ECMSPY.

Others on here have knocked the tuning WE get when buy an EBR computer for our bikes. How the tune isn't particularly good. The same young guy is there at the bigger races trying to adjust the maps.

Things I think they NEED in order to be a consistant front runner.

Install those race cams finally.
    Find a little more compression (if they can afford a new piston design)

LOTS of dyno time with said cams and higher compression to find what the limits of the engine are.

-possibly someone better with fuel/timing maps

***the 72 degree V might be too tight of an angle to get good head flow from having too many tight bends in the intake manifold***

Yea, small team with small budget versus big teams with big budgets and a lot of factory support. So much more R&D from the big guys, testing on and off the track. I hope EBR can do better since I'm sure the bike is top notch.

Nobody gets a podium out of the gate, I don't care what kind of factory support you've got.
    There are so many things that come into play every week, and without any notes on what the bike did last time at said track they are starting from scratch.

You try this suspension setup or that tweak, one thing at a time and see what happens, better or worse?
    Let alone possible tire supply issues, and they can't just run down to the nearest tire shop and get a new one.
    Pros get what they are given from the "approved" tire suppler at the track.
    Let alone again, weather... temp, humidity, what was the weather like the past day, is the track clean or rubbered up, who ran yesterday

If all your looking for is podium finishes I'd suggest not watching for a yr or 2.
    Keep in mind this is the 3rd yr that the 1125 has been raced, so even that is just baby steps in a racing career.

Are the races televised on Speed today/tonight?

They are doing great for a bike w/ zero history behind it.

-Geoff needs to not keep going back to georgia between races and stay in wisconsin with them to get more track time.

But, there are some "simple" things they need to work on to be better that would make a huge change and quickly.

When you are getting WALKED on by a duc 999 down the straights, you have one problem, and thats a lack of HP.

I usually catch the races on replays on speed around midnight or slightly after on the day of the race. So Sundays Race is usually replayed Sunday into Monday on the east coast(NYC).

I hear the points about the refining process and gradually getting better. I think in a way we're all kind of impatient... feeling like we've waited forever for Erik to scratch his way to the top and flip those HD b@stards the finger. At the same time I can't say I wasn't a little jealous when KTM got 7th... with a twin.... and a bike that's retailing for 25,000 less...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast