Thread: Fuel Economy

I know that doing the Preprogrammed ECM w/ open air filter and after market exhaust hurts fuel economy, but I am curious as to how badly fuel economy the fuel economy is affected. Guy I was talking to at the MSF course said his XB12S gets 30's now that he's got an open intake, race ECM, and D&D exhaust. Anyone finding this to be about right?

Basically I want to upgrade the exhaust on my 07 XB9SX without sacrificing the 50+mpg I get from it.. even mid-high 40's would be okay, but don't really believe I can't get okay mileage out of the bike considering I did a lot more to my z28 camaro (port and polish heads, upgraded valvetrain, cold air, full headers w/ catback exhaust) and I came out 1-2mpg higher than I had before (16 city vs 15, and 27highway vs 25).

It depends on your driving style. I can get around 70mpg with my 06 xb9 in the right circumstances but average around 55-60. I have open airbox, K&N filter, hawk exhaust, and a custom tune on mine. If I really get into some spirited riding I will get around 40 or so.

That doesn't sound right at all. When my bike was new I was getting around high 30's for mileage, as it broke in it increased steadily. Currently I average mid to high 40's, and that's mostly highway at high speed (~85mph) and occasional weekend twisty's at very high speed (100+). If I took it easy I'm sure I could get over 50mpg...and all that is with a k&n, breather reroute, airbox delete, aftermarket exhaust, and tuned ecm.

Depends on the exhaust system, depends on the tuning.

Take a Jardine on a XB9 for example.

It makes more power and more torque everywhere in the power band other than 3k RPMs and below. Now if you are tuned correctly and seldom drop below 3k RPM's when riding / cruising your MPG should increase!

Now take the Buell Race Muffler on a XB9. It has a HUGE hole in the power band between 3.5K and 4.7K RPM's. Pretty much where you spend life both in accelerating and cruising. Tuned correctly for that muffler, you should see a bad drop in MPG.

These are just examples on a XB9, those two mufflers perform really differently on a XB12.

But honesty, the main drop in MPG with most bikers and car folks alike is because when they stick a louder/better sounding muffler on their rides, their driving behavior changes and they tend to be heavier on the throttle to hear the symphony that is the internal combustion engine. It IS an addiction and we all do it either knowingly or not lol.

~Mike....

That doesn't sound right at all.Â*
    I know I couldn't believe it either. I was riding in Iowa where its really flat with very few curves. Had a cramp buster and was running very close to 60mph for around 100 miles. Its the only time that I've seen those numbers...but it can be done. Most of my riding is out in the country so very little starting/stopping and I'm pretty easy on the throttle. Like I said earlier I get around 40 or so...similar to what you average at...when I'm heavy handed on the throttle and clutch.

Oh yeah, I mean the guy the OP talked to doesn't sound right. If I had the patience to ride like a sane person I'm sure I'd get a lot better mileage, although I think I get great mileage as it is (double what my cage gets!).

On the highway most times i can (regular)Riding, get around 52 or 55 max to the gallon. Which is good enough for me . Thats with Stock plugs . I just recently changed the plugs to NGKs so A Daytona Visit is in order for the bike races.We will see in a couple of days.City riding I get around 37 to 41 give or take.

well considering my truck gets 15 when i pussyfoot around and 12 when im on it all the time (its a 6cylinder too lol) ill take anything 25mpg+ out of the bike

they tend to be heavier on the throttle to hear the symphony
    I would say that is the best way to desribe it, and is probably the reason why someone would get that crappy of milage. when they are just cruising and when the stop at stop light they rev it up for all to hear and take off hard and not to mention they may be driving alot faster and speeding now, the faster you go the more you burn!!

here are a few threads on milage and in the XB milage they say the mileage they get along with the Mods and exhaust they have on their Buells. most are getting with aftermarket exhaust & mods get 45-55MPG.

Buell XB Mileage

Buell 1125R & 1125CR Mileage

Buell-tubers-mileage

If you get real fancy in the ecm you can be getting 50+ always

If i am at 55mph my afr is 15.5 same at 75mph
    I also set the 35 and 45 like this.
    out side of these spots its set normal to me.lol

I had to adjust the rpm bands to center the area for rpm and adjust the tps values to center that. This allows the bike to run center of those cells while going out side of those cells it will either drop to 13.2 max to the 15.5 min depending on tps change.

to do this you must raise the closed loop to be above the area so it in open loop at this rpm both min tps and max rpm.
    at 15.5 my temp is 20 deg co0ler that 14.7 but at 15.7 its 20 deg hotter the 14.7 just as well its 20 deg cooler at 14.2 but gets less mileage. remember the leaner you run the numbers the more accurate the balance between front and rear needs to be.

you will say you loose power at 15.5 afr , yep but at steady no load you dont need full power at those speeds. the bike is actually smoother at 15.5 now at HW speed. plus I avg 48/62 mpg on the xb9 depending on how its ridden. set afr at 13.2 and I got 28...arghh that had to go.