Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil tank temperature dipstick anyone??

I was going through ASB and saw this neat dipstick with the oil temp gauge on it. Seems rather small to they eye though.. anyone have one and use it? pictures?

I put one on my Firebolt a few weeks ago. After riding in traffic yesterday with an air temp in the seventies, the oil was at about 165 degrees.

Man, when you shoot that close, you can see how dirty your bike really is!

pictures would be great.. and yeah i've always wanted to see what the temperature would be in this jersey heat riding in 90 degrees, in traffic nonetheless..

i was thinking about getting one.but i dont think i want to know what the temp is sitting in traffic when it 100 deg.

I'll let you know in about three months, when it hits 118 here

im curious,

thanks for the picture! i think thats next on my "to-buy" list

I got one this past fall when they (ABS) still had the "Dark Horse Moto" logo on it...kind of like the ABS one. It's pricey for what it is, but you're right; "neat."

Install was easy:

1. Twist the temp gauge out of the main knurled cap by grasping the probe underneath, holding the knurled knob with opposite hand and "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
    2. Apply blue loc-tite to the temp probe/gauge threads. (this locks the probe/gauge in place not
    3. Thread the main knurled knob into the oil filler hole.
    4. Thread the temp probe/gauge into the knurled cap and position as desired for ease of reading. Allow the loc-tite to set up over nightish.
    5. ride, read, and know your oil temp.

I positioned mine so I could kneel at the swing arm and read the gauge...you could mount it upside down to read it sitting on bike better, but I can see the general position of the needle while seated on the bike and if you know what the markings are the general read will tell you the approx. temp.

A cool doo-dad to be sure. I have 3 pics of it installed on my 2010 XB12Ss:

[img]null[/img]

Thanks for the reviews, Guess Ill add that to my list.

Just noticed after posting the pics that my gauge is reading around 275 degrees, bike not running and sitting cold!

I tested it in some boiling water just now and compared it along side a regular kitchen style probe. I can tap mine and it jumps all over the place and something sounds loose inside...not sure what's going on there, but the kitchen probe went right to 130 degrees and stayed. Mine only moved a little bit and still jumped around when tapped on the side of the glass. I'm wondering if the vibration of the bike didn't knock something loose.

I'll have to call Al at ABS and see if he knows...hmmm, I guess I haven't been paying too much attention to it, don't know if that tells you how useful it is ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast