Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New X1 Owner/New Rider

Well now you know about the seat... lol. I just put one on my bike last season. The original seat is like sitting on a brick and the select seat is like a pillow. Much more comfortable!

The XB boxes use an automotive style PCV valve for relieving crankcase pressure. The original X1 boxes have an internal umbrella valve i believe its called that doesnt allow the crankcase to vent properly. This is why the engine likes to puke alot of oil. The forcewinder is just like the factory setup.. it pipes the crankcase venting into the air filter... The vents come out the sides of the head. With the XB setup, you plug the head vents with a 1/2 cap screw and then run breather tubes from the top mounted PCV valves to a catch can and small breather. This reduces the amount of oil the motor pukes.

Although I can't compare the seats I will say mine is definitely comfortable. As for the XB rocker boxes, I'll check around on craigslist/ebay to see if I can't pick them up for cheap, cause I'm getting tired of the burped up oil. Thanks for the reply!

This weekend if weather permits I'm going to do my first tuning session on ECMspy to see if I can't get this beast running a little smoother. It runs good now but I just feel I could do some tweaking to make it run better.

Also still looking for some insight on the chain drive that I've got. I'm not too comfortable on riding it while its grinding into my swingarm.

some rockerbox cover info and more BUELL tuber info article with some links ! enjoy !

http://www.doncasto.net/DonCastosS2C...nalWisdom.html
    Rocker Box Gaskets
    The rocket box gaskets that Harley Davidson built many of its Sportster/Buell motors with have been know to become misaligned and leak on a fairly regular basis. After several (many) years of failures of these paper gaskets, they were finally upgraded in 2001. Although this may not require pre-emptive work, it is definitely important to make sure you get the new gaskets if you ever have to pull the covers off.
    Note: Consider doing the Buell recommended rocker box modifications detailed in the Crankcase Breather Section seen below when replacing the gaskets.
    Part #16800-84. Have your dealer look for Parts and Accessories Bulletin #709.

XB Rocker Box Cover Upgrade
    The rocker box cover from the new XB engines can, with a little modification, be bolted right up to the older "Evolution" (XL) engines. Not only does the upgrade reduce the incident of gasket problems it also addresses the tendency of the older engines to blow excessive amounts of oil out through the crankcase breathers. This is accomplished by replacing the older two piece cover and umbrella valve assembly with a single cover that uses a real world PCV valve.

17605-00YB - Rocker cover, front head $39
    17642-02A - Rocker cover, rear head $39
    17606-00YA - Grommet, Viton, Black $2.95 each (need 2)
    17607-00Y - PCV Valve, $6.90 each (need 2)
    868A - Hex Socket Button Head Screw, $4.75 each (need 2)

For a complete how-to pictorial on the upgrade please refer to Jose Quinones's article reposted at http://home.att.net/~castodon/josesxbcover.html

side note read what is said in the Synthetic Oil Use section I agree with what is said about it and how to deal with what the dealer/shops/sellers say

you can google buell X1 / s2 rocker box fix for some other info too...

While your collecting parts for the late rocker box conversion you can run the oil level in the middle of the high and low marks. That was the old way to solve the pukeing problem. I have used this cure myself with no problems.

Got some pics of my chain drive situation, it looks like I'm missing the tensioner pulley??

Here are some pics of my pipes, theyre cermaic coated but as you can see the bike was layed down and looks pretty ****ty at this point. I was thinking about spraying them flat black, What do you guys think??

Your chain drive looks like an old American Sport Bike(ASB)model they used to sell. You can contact them and see what the deal is. I would guess you're only missing a "chain rub" that keeps the chain off your swing arm.

http://www.americansportbike.com/

ASB also sells frame sliders but are a little pricey.

EBAY is going to be your best source for X1 parts, just pay attention and make sure your not getting robbed.

The Forcewinder intakes should be the same for any Fuel Injected model whether Sporty or Buell. But when in doubt, buy the Buell specific one.

Lastly, I run the same gap on my plugs with the race ecm.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Alright, so everything is pretty much to a halt at this point. Yesterday I left work early to go and enjoy the day and ride for a little bit. I was out on some country roads cruising when a school bus pulled out in front of me... Long story short I ended up in the ditch along with the bike. The bike took most of the brunt and ended up with a broke mirror, broken clutch lever, bent clutch pedal, bent kick stand, broke my ECMSPY cable(I was logging, bastards), flat spotted rear tire and scratched my primary cover to hell. I ended up with only some rash on my leg luckily.

The school bus driver got cited for failure to yield and now I'm getting ready to drop it off at the shop. So in the meantime I'm going to get another ECMSpy cable and a forcewinder intake for when I get her back as well as some XB rocker boxes. I'll keep it updated. Ride safe.

Looks super nice. Great thing about the bike its not to hard to get it sorted out..Good luck

hey guys . not trying to change the subject here but i just bought a d&d slip on for 01 x1 lightning and was wondering if i could put that on befor i do the ecm spy to it.. and how can i get alot more power out of the bike.i need more power...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123