Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New X1 Owner/New Rider

very Nice Buell X1 .
    cant wait to add a X1 to my garage !!

For the idle adjustment should you should be able to reach in through the ram air duct on the left side of the bike just under the tank and grab a knob that is on the end of a cable that is attached to the idle adjustment screw on the throttle body. I can reach mine while sitting on the bike but it is difficult. It is easier if you are off the bike.

Dwight
    Nashville IL

Another question is, where can I find the plastic/wind guard for my bike? I've checked craigslist but there isnt too many buells on there. Also I checked ebay but most of the parts I found were either outrageously priced or they were over-sea's in the UK. Thanks for your replies and help so far.
    like this?
    hand guards

edit: correct url for hand deflectors

like this?
    hand guards

edit: correct url for hand deflectors
    No, I was talking about the plastic covers on the side of the tank, the black pieces. The bike had been dropped and has some scuffs/scratches that I just can't deal with (I'm pretty picky about my vehicles/bike lol). I was thinking about sanding it down but I have doubts that I could blend it in to where it wasn't that noticeable so I figured I'd try and buy a new one.

X1's are TEH sex. Sigh.

Your prob not going to like me saying this but the problem your having is not because it needs a TPS reset or the idle adjustment. You need to replace your intake gaskets. My x1 was doing the exact same thing as yours last summer. Quick and easy way to check them is let your bike warm up till it starts acting up and take a propane torch and open the knob and stick it up by the seals. IF they are leaking it will make your bike sputter and choke and kill it. Hoped it helps and couldn't help but notice but looks like you have Minnesota plate? I could be wrong but im from MN we are always looking for riding buddies. PM me if you have any questions

Your prob not going to like me saying this but the problem your having is not because it needs a TPS reset or the idle adjustment. You need to replace your intake gaskets. My x1 was doing the exact same thing as yours last summer. Quick and easy way to check them is let your bike warm up till it starts acting up and take a propane torch and open the knob and stick it up by the seals. IF they are leaking it will make your bike sputter and choke and kill it. Hoped it helps and couldn't help but notice but looks like you have Minnesota plate? I could be wrong but im from MN we are always looking for riding buddies. PM me if you have any questions

I'll give the torch a try, but yesterday I took the bike out after I did my tune up (Re-gapped/cleaned plugs, changed oil in primary and engine)to make sure everything was solid and not leaking. Once the bike warmed up I adjusted the idle via the knob and its idling better now, around 1.2-1.5k. Any lower and it seems to not like it. An I'm actually in Ohio, the plates do look similar though.

I do have another question, my bike has a race ignition on it and was wondering if I needed to gap my spark plugs different than what the service manual calls for or just use the stock gap?

Alright so I haven't updated in awhile, but I have been busy. Been cleaning the bike up and fixing a few odds and ends. First off I noticed when I was cleaning my bike that I was missing a bolt on the pipes, so I got that replaced and my popping on deceleration has went away besides a little bit. I also changed the oil/filter/primary with mobil 1 synthetic and new spark plugs and it runs 10x smoother (go figure right?). I also got my ECMspy cable the other day and have since reset my idle and TPS, which was easy and made it idle/run alot better as well.

Now for the new problems/questions. The bike has been converted to a chain drive, but the chain is kinda loose and is cutting into my swingarm. I was looking at kits online and it seems that there is a sprocket tensioner that mine doesnt have? All I see is a rubber like roller pulley to help it out. So do I just adjust the back wheel to compensate for it? I've also been looking for frame sliders since my bike only came with two on the right side, cant seem to locate any. Any idea's?

I've also been looking getting a forcewinder/sidewinder intake for my bike but I'm kind of confused on which one to get. Some I see are for harley sportsters and others are for buell's. My question is whats the difference? It seems the sportsters are cheaper than the buells and I was wondering if I could just use that one?

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight of the chain drive and how she sits now.

Nice bike and welcome to the X1 family. I ride a 99.

The difference in the forcewiders i think, the X1 has a different filter that allows for the use of your IAT sensor since your bike is FI... Sports of that vintage are still carbed (to my knowledge)....

Also, im guessing your bike still has the factory X1 2 piece rocker boxes? A great upgrade is going to the XB 1 piece with PCV valves. Allows the bike to vent much better-

you probably now this as well, just pointing it out if you are not aware... but you have the upgraded buell select seat also....

Thanks, I didn't know I had a select seat but I dont really know the differences either. As for the forcewinders is there a specific style/part number to order?

And the rocker boxes I'm unsure about, might have to do some research unless there is a post on here about it. Does the upgrade have to do with the crankcase venting? If so doesn't the forcewinder include the stuff to do that modification?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast